cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping, no issues found.

john34
Dabbler

Internet dropping, no issues found.

I have been with plusnet for a while and never had any issues. However recently starting Feb 2019 the internet has been dropping and seems to be increasing day by day. Plusnet originally sent an engineer out but he found no issues with the internet. The range has also dropped and testing the internet I am only receiving between 2 and 5mbps where as near the router I am getting 30+Mbps. Was advised to get power line adaptors and isn't making much of a difference. Was advised too many devices were being used given the reason for dropping of internet however we are using Netflix and sky upstairs. I would really like advice because i don't what more to do ") thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Internet dropping, no issues found.

Hi there, 

Sorry to hear about this. Apologies if this has been covered with you already but have you been able to try out a wired connection to the router to see if the same issue happens?

I just wanted to ask that next as what you've described does sound exactly like an issue with WiFi rather than specifically relating to the broadband connection. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
john34
Dabbler

Hi,
Yes with a wired connection I get up to the expected 70mbps, I understand that this won't be the case with WiFi, however I don't expect the wifi to only get up to 5-8mbps in areas of the house when this was not an issue before.

The wired connection also drops and the router starts flashing orange. I reported this to plusnet and a BT engineer came out and advised there is no issue.

Is it possible to have a replacement router sent as it looks like this could be the issue?
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @john34,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. Just before we do proceed any further at this point, please could you confirm if you're still experiencing issues whilst your router is plugged into the test socket in the property? For reference, we have a guide on how to set the router up within the test socket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
john34
Dabbler

It doesn't matter whether the router is plugged into the test socket or normal socket it still drops. I had to plug the router into the test socket in order for plusnet to send out a BT engineer for 72 hours. Plusnet stated there was a fault on the line, BT disagreed.

So yes it doesn't matter, and it's getting a little frustrating.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @john34,

Thank you for confirming that this issue persists when the router is connected to the test socket. I'm sorry that the engineer wasn't able to determine the cause of this during their visit and for the inconvenience that this issue is causing you.

As the engineer wasn't able to determine the cause of this problem during this visit, I believe that the best next step would be to try you with a new router. If the new router doesn't resolve the problem, we can then arrange another engineer visit and ask that this is investigated further.

You're within contract, so there's no charge for the new router and I've waived the £6.99 p&p due to the connection issue. It'll be with you within 3- 5 working days. Please get back in touch via the community forum if you continue to experience any connection problems once the new router is in place.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
john34
Dabbler

Thank you so much.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you @john34,

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss in the meantime.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
john34
Dabbler

The new router appears to have not dropped since having it, not that I have seen. However, we are still gettubg a massive varience with WiFi. I could be getting up to 60mbps with one test, then when I get in the test later on in the same place, I get no more than 5mbps.

Does plusnet limit the amount of internet?
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @john34 

Have you changed the Wireless channels on the new router and split the 2.4 & 5Ghz frequencies? 

Info on how to do all of this can be found here

Let us know how you get on. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

john34
Dabbler

No I haven't amended anything.

However, the internet has dropped again!!! The router is currently flashing orange.
There is obviously an issue with plusnet as BT confirmed no issue. You are currently in breach of your contract as you cannot fix the problem and my internet is still dropping.

How do I go around cancelling my co tract on the basis that I am not getting the service I am paying for?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @john34

I'm sorry to hear that your connection is dropping.

We've tested your line and it's showing an issue that would need another engineer visit.

Can you respond to the open ticket we've just updated so we can get that progressed for you?

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
john34
Dabbler

No!! You're not see sing ANOTHER engineer only to confirm there is no issue.

You already sent one last week!
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @john34

I appreciate that this is frustrating, but having retested your line, I agree with Matt that a further engineer would unfortunately be required in order to get this resolved.

Please let us know if you provide your availability on your fault ticket and we'll get that booked in for you as a priority.

Best wishes

Dave

john34
Dabbler

And what happens I'd this engineer also doesn't find a fault?