cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping in and out.

Tim1100i
Hooked

Internet dropping in and out.

I have just had a call from my wife who is trying to work from home complaining that the Internet keeps going off. I am at work but went home during my lunch. It is plugged in direct to the first plug and it is the Internet not WiFi because the light on the router keeps going red. She has tried turning on an off but that isn't solving the issue. My son has said that it was playing up yesterday as well. I picked the phone up and that is fuzzy and a bit crackly so I am wondering if it is a line problem. Can you test it. I have tried getting onto the plusnet site but for some reason I can't, this is the only bit of it I can get on.
3 REPLIES 3
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Re: Internet dropping in and out.

Hi @Tim1100i,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you're having and apologise the inconvenience this is causing you.

I've ran a diagnostic test on the line and this is not showing a fault, although it does show your router has been switched off a few times. I would advise to avoid switching off the router as it could prolong the situation, the router should be left on to find synchronisation itself. Repeat switching off of the router will get picked up as potential repeat disconnections so this may cause the dynamic line management software to slow your connection speed to compensate.

Please can you go through these troubleshooting steps and also connect to the test socket here.

If the issue persists feel free to raise a fault or come back to us. You will need an ADSL microfilter to do this, there should be a spare one in the router box we sent you however if not you can get a new one from the high street or online. They are reasonable inexpensive, I'd suggest using a new one to rule out interference from the filter itself.

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks - LF

Tim1100i
Hooked

Hi thanks for the reply. My wife was switching the router on and off when it kept dropping out to try and get it to work, I'll let her know that is not the thing to do lol. My son said that bt were about yesterday and messing in the green box. The phone line is now clear and the Internet was fine last night. Hopefully that's cured it my wife is not working from home today so I don't know if its been OK during the day. Fingers crossed.
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

No worries, @Tim1100i. It's probably the first thing that is done by anyone if a connection appears to be lost so it's not unusual.

I'm glad it's all working. The dynamic line management also works the other way so if the connection remains sound over the next few days the speed will start creeping up again.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks - Tahir