cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet cuts out occasionally

AnotheRay
Hooked

Internet cuts out occasionally

Hi. I’ve been meaning to query this since joining back in August last year but my internet seems to cut out briefly on occasions, which is quite annoying especially when I’m playing a game online or accessing certain apps (Facebook seems susceptible to this for instance). When I had standard broadband with another provider I had maybe the odd one or two cut outs (due to network downtime - clear reason) and no way near as frequent as what I have been experiencing. This is my first time getting fibre so I don’t if it’s a common issue that it’s not as stable as standard broadband, or if there’s an issue down my end. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Internet cuts out occasionally

Hi there. Welcome to the community forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Our tests aren't finding any issues plus it looks like your connection is stable:

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection?

This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your connection is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here but it might also be worth trying the steps in this post.

If you're having problems using a wired connection, does the light on the front of your router change colour when your connection drops?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
AnotheRay
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf and apologies for the late response. I’ve just recently switched to a wired connection (hooked my game console) so I’ll how that goes. The other devices are connected via WiFi (tablet, phone). I’ll have a look at those links if the problem still persists.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
AnotheRay
Hooked

Hello Matthew. I think it’s been generally fine so far, though I did experience a brief cut out couple of nights ago (indicator light on router was orange before becoming blue again). The cut outs could also be due to other factors (e.g. game server issues). I’ll keep an eye on this and maybe start compiling a log of connection issues encountered going forward, but case closed for now. Thanks again for looking into this.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, good stuff. Everything looks fine to us at the moment: 

Link to this file:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team