cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet constantly dropping out

LukasD
Dabbler

Internet constantly dropping out

I joined Plusnet a few months ago, and for several weeks my connection was perfect.  But ever since then it's becomming more and more unstable every day.  I'm losing my connection multiple times each day, and oddly it's nearly always exactly on the hour or half past the hour.

The Hub One router can't seem to decide what the problem is, as sometimes the main light is flashing orange, somtimes it's steady orange, sometimes the "b" light is flashing orange, sometimes its flashing red.

I have been keeping track of my noise margin over the last few months, which was initially ~17, but has been steadily decreasing over time  There is also now a noticeable hiss on the phone line.

5 REPLIES 5
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Internet constantly dropping out

There is also now a noticeable hiss on the phone line.

This could be the cause of the issues.

Is the noise constant and does it continue if you plug only the handset in to the test socket (behind the faceplate of the master socket)?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
LukasD
Dabbler

Yes, it's always there and also present from the test socket.  It's just a faint hiss always in the background.

I don't know if it may be related, but I did recently reconnect the extension socket, and the bulk of (but not all of) the disconnects have happened after that.  I cann't say if the hiss was there beforehand as I didn't use the line for calls.

Chris
Legend

I don't suppose you could disconnect the extension and see if the hiss continues?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
LukasD
Dabbler

I've disconnected the extension and it is much more stable now.  Though that faint hiss is still there on the phone line, and the SNR still drops quite low sometimes.

I guess there isn't really much to do about it though.

Chris
Legend

If the dropping continues or you're still having problems we can get it looked in to. The hiss could indicate a problem.

Here's what we can see from your connection logs.