Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection keeps dropping

gimming
Hooked

Internet connection keeps dropping

Hi, i'm after some advice.
I've been with Plusnet for a while, Fibre since 2014 and upgraded to Unlimited Fibre Extra early this year, i've not had any problems, however recently I have been getting regular interruptions with my internet - I will lose connection at random times of the day.

Whenever I lose connection all the lights on the router turn off, the power light sometimes remains lit. The power light, which is normally green, turns red.  After a few seconds most of the lights eventually change to green as it attempts to restore connection/service but then all turn off again as though it has failed. The sequence then repeats itself.
It doesn't usually resolve itself until I turn the router off and on again.

I have a Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping

@gimming 

It sounds like the dying throws of your hub. I would either ask for another hub but if they tell you that it will be a Hub One then a better option would be to ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and ask for a Hub Two in exchange for renewing your contract now. They are much better than a Hub One.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Apologies for the inconvenience caused here @gimming

I'll pop a visual radius below which does actually show that the line is dropping out every now and again. I can't see any underlying issues with the line through testing though, so I too am thinking that the router is the source of the issues here, given that you've had it for 7 years!

Given the financial elements of sending out a new router, I've just created a ticket on the account which we'd need you to respond to before I can get this processed. Please let me know when you've responded and I'll follow up. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
gimming
Hooked

Thanks for the reply and advice @Baldrick1. I just called the number you provided, unfortunately I was told that the Hub 2 is for business customers only and all other users are now using hub 1 therefore it was not available to me.

The customer representative is therefore sending me a hub 1 replacement in the post and I should receive it next week.  They noticed I had the ticket you opened @adam945 and have actioned it on my behalf and will close it.

Thanks both for your help on this - hopefully the new router will resolve my issues. 🤞

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@gimming 

This only goes to show how poorly trained Plusnet Agents are. Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and help. Either way I would ring back, perhaps you will get to speak to someone who is up to date.

@adam945 Can you help? If necessary talk to Bob Pullen.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gimming
Hooked

Thanks @Baldrick1 - I rang them again and asked for a hub two to be sent out instead of a hub one.  I spoke to a different rep  and was told yet again that they are only for business or new customers and that they are currently not able to send them out.  I explained I upgraded beginning of this year but he said I understand I took out a new contract but there is no option on the system for hub 2 and that he cant send out a hub two. He said to try in a couple of months time.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@gimming 

The Hub One is an improvement to a TG582n as it has 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless and assuming it has the latest firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 you should not have any issues with wireless as reported with the previous version.

I think many plusnet customers would like a Hub Two (myself included) but it is not financial viable for them to just supply them on demand, rules have to be set and followed.

Dan.

gimming
Hooked

Thanks for your responses and help @Baldrick1 and @Dan_the_Van.
Hopefully the replacement 'hub one' will be much better than the technicolor that I have now. 😊

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@gimming  Am I missing something here, the Technicolor TG582n is not a VDSL2 modem router so you must have an Openreach modem connected to your phone line, maybe that is the reason for your disconnections rather than the router.

Can you say what modem type you have, is it a Huawei HG612 3B (very good, used one for years 😊) or ECI (not so good 🙄)

If you get a Hub1 you don't need a modem but I wouldn't want a Hub1 myself, endless problems with the Wi-Fi which may be fixed as they are currently rolling out firmware updates, but it doesn't have the best reputation.

gimming
Hooked

Hi @RealAleMadrid ,

yes, I have an Openreach modem connected to the phone line and the Technicolor TG582n is connected to the modem.

When the internet drops, the status lights on the Technicolor turn off, but the lights on the Openreach modem, including the DSL light, remain lit and solid.  The issue can usually be resolved by turning the Technicolor off and on again therefore I assume the issue must be the router.

Not sure about the modem type, it has Plusnet technicolor TG582n on the top and bottom of it.

Edit - Sorry, just re-read your question. My modem is an ECI.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@gimming  From what you have said it does look like the Technicolor is dropping the connection for some reason. A new Hub1 may sort this out.