cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection dropping out and cutting out several times per day.

nicenew
Hooked

Internet connection dropping out and cutting out several times per day.

Hi, I had an issue with my internet connection for several months now, hoping that it resolves itself through updates of the router, but nothing. My internet speed keep dropping (from 60+ mbps to 5 mbps) or cutting for no apparent reasons several times per day.

My son who play competitively lose potential money every times it happens during tournaments.

Loading a simple page on Google or opening emails can sometime take up to a minute, regardless of the device.

Streaming services Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, iPlayer encounter issues when trying to load. (error message)

The problem happens on iOS, Windows and Android.

Can someone please help me with the issue?

18 REPLIES 18
nicenew
Hooked

Re: Internet connection dropping out and cutting out several times per day.

Well, time to swap to Zen I guess.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@nicenew wrote:

Hi, I had an issue with my internet connection for several months now, hoping that it resolves itself through updates of the router, but nothing. My internet speed keep dropping (from 60+ mbps to 5 mbps) or cutting for no apparent reasons several times per day.

I'm currently with Zen (but not for much longer) and very good they have been too.

But are you losing the connection via WiFi or via a wired (ethernet) connection. Have you gone through the usual ways of testing for problems as detailed here? What sort of speeds should you be getting? Good place to start is here.

While it might be nice to move ISP, if the slow speeds is due to a line problem, the chances are high that you will still have the same problems even if you move elsewhere. For most of the internet journey the same equipment is used - unless you happen to be in a Zen LLU area.

Do you have a landline phone? Is the line quiet? Do you have a spare router etc that you can try - its one reason I keep hold of a spare is for reason like this. Having a known good makes fault finding far easier. If the fault disappears when a replacement router is fitted you know where the fault was. Likewise fitting a new filter, cable etc.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you considered raising a fault? 

Hoping an upgrade comes along is a strange concept. Not heard of any examples of hope fixing telephone faults..

nicenew
Hooked

Thanks for your answer. 
I’m losing connection on both wired and wifi. It’s very random. 
Sometimes few devices will lose connection while others remain connected.

Yes I have a landline and it’s not quiet.

No, I don’t have a spare router. I thought of buying a better one but was worried that it would end up being a waste of money.

Regarding LLU area, my town is not mentioned in the list but I’m very close to one who is in it. (Don’t know if that count)

When I put my landline number on the Zen website to see what they have on offer, the ultrafast fibre is in the list. (227Mbps - Typical Download Speed) 

nicenew
Hooked

No, I didn’t think of "raising a fault". I don’t even know what the problem is, might not be a fault.

I don’t know what you mean by "upgrade", because I was talking about "update". From mobile phones to tablet, tv, portable speakers, console, laptop, desktop, etc... an automatic update of a firmware / OS can fix issues, which is... a common concept.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You said you have a noisy phone line, any noise on the line will impact your broadband service and reduce your speeds.

A noisy line is the first thing to get checked and repaired. Use the links in @idonno  postto help determine the issue and report a fault.

nicenew
Hooked

Well all working landlines make a noise when you listen to it. Never was a problem with the internet providers I used in the last 2 decades.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@nicenew - they shouldn't, as has been pointed out previously.

John
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Already stated by others, but no, it should be silent.

It needs to be checked using the test socket (if the type of master socket has one) and a corded pushbutton phone. Not a cordless phone because there could well be wireless interference using one.

nicenew
Hooked

Are we talking about the dial tone? 

jab1
Legend

No, we are talking about after you have dialled 17070 and selected option 2 - the quiet line test.

John
nicenew
Hooked

Well that is quiet.

jab1
Legend

In message #5 - you said it wasn't quiet - do you understand what others are actually saying?

John
nicenew
Hooked

No, I thought that they were talking about the dial tone.