Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection disconnecting almost every day randomly

williamjt97
Dabbler

Internet connection disconnecting almost every day randomly

Hi,

Since moving over to plus net almost every day it seems the internet will randomly cut out 1-3+ times. The times it cuts out are random. Sometimes it will cut out 3 times in a row sometimes 3 different times in 1 whole day. It's rather annoying and impacting my work, I've had it cut while in meetings or doing training sessions. I turn the router off and on every time and it's comes back once rebooted so it's not like the internet is actually having an outage. I don't believe there are any works going on in the area. 

Could this be looked into,

Thanks.

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
williamjt97
Dabbler

Re: Internet connection disconnecting almost every day randomly

Cut out two more times since posting this for a total of 5 times today. It's pathetic how much it's cutting out.

AHWifi
Dabbler

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums, when it cuts off 

do the lights begin to change or not?

williamjt97
Dabbler

Hi,

Yes after around 20 seconds it turns green, then orange then flashing orange and then back to blue.

AHWifi
Dabbler

Thanks for that,

If this is the issue then it suggests a fault is present on the line somewhere.

I hope a PN staff member can pick this up soon. @Gandalf 

A test would need to be ran and it would be good to see the connection logs from their side.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@williamjt97 Welcome to the forums. You have been with PN since the end of May and only just decided to report the problem?

It sounds to me like your connection is still stuck in the 'setup' mode. Try this:

1. Factory reset of the hub by pushing a paperclip or similar in to the reset hole and hold the switch closed for about 30 seconds.
2. Leave it 10 minutes or so and see if that fixes it,

If that doesn’t work:

3. Log in to the hub by putting 192.168.1.254 in the address field of your web browser.
4. On the broadband page (I think, you may need to look through the pages to find it, depending on which hub you have) you should find the username. If it’s setup@plusdsl.net then it hasn’t configured itself.
5. Remove the DSL cable.
6. Change the username to your account username in the form <username>@plusdsl.net.
7. Enter your account password.
8. Plug the DSL cable back in.
9. If it doesn’t try to connect select Connect (again you may need to look through he pages to find it)

John
williamjt97
Dabbler

Hi @jab1 

At first it wasnt as bad and I guess you could say I was more forgiving but the past month it's gotten worse and been more frustrating.

I have reset and will see how it goes.

Hub has been setup with username & admin password changed.

jab1
Legend

@williamjt97 OK. If your username was correct in the first place, it is possible that there is an underlying network issue, but reading your initial post, and it was not clear how long you had been with PN.

I don't quite understand the comment about changing username and password - are you saying they were showing as 'setup@plusdsl' and a random password, and you have now changed them to '<yourusername> and the correct password? If so, that should resolve the issue.

John
williamjt97
Dabbler

Username has been correct since the start of the service and changed the password at the start of service not just today.

If this could be looked into at the backend that would be great. I understand it could be an issue with BT's line as well or no apparent issue will show itself on investigation but checking would be nice. 

jab1
Legend

It may get picked up by PN staff fairly quickly, but just for my curiosity, can you post your routers Help Desk information?

John
williamjt97
Dabbler

HcaFFZv

jab1
Legend

Sorry for the late reply - life got in the way. from that information, you certainly have a problem somewhere. Your D/S data rate is low, and your SNR figures are high. Is your phone line clear of interference -  dial 17070, option 2 - there should be no noise at all - if there is, report a PHONE fault first.

John
williamjt97
Dabbler

No problem - I don't currently own a landline phone set to plug into the line to test. I can order one and get back when it's arrived. @JAB 

jab1
Legend

No problem - doesn't have to be expensive, so long as it works. You may find this topic gets picked up by Plusnet staff tomorrow and they can determine the problem, but a corded handset should be in everyone's bottom drawer - they are indispensable in this situation.

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sorry @jab1  but you have got it a bit wrong, the OP has a very short line to the cabinet and is syncing at full speed, that is why the SNRM values are high.  The data rate speeds are in Kbps so the modem/router is connect at 79.999Mbps down and 19.999Mbps up. I see no problem at all with the broadband connection, why it is dropping out is hard to understand. Need help from forum staff on this one.🤔

@williamjt97  Don't bother getting a phone, you have a perfect connection in terms of speed, I don't believe there is any phone line problem, the question is why is it dropping out.🙄