cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Still Down

liamb2016
Dabbler

Internet Still Down

My Internet is off and won't reconnect. I've called twice today and was told both times it was due to someone working on something and it would definitely be on soon but it still it's working and it's nearly midnight.

Can you please let me know when its coming back on please?
7 REPLIES 7
sw34669
Dabbler

Re: Internet Still Down

Funny you should say this I had the same yesterday at 2PM ... fiber went down . I called and to be fair got a call back after the agent had spoken to openreach and was told some work at the exchange was bing done and it would be back at 6pm. Sounded like some upgrading to me (im in IT).

6PM came and went I called back at 7 to be told the fault was cleared and it must be an issue in my house. I explained I had dial tone but none of my 3 modems would pick up a vdsl tone. Had a long and painfull discussion about the call i'd had earlier that this was an exchange side issue but i didnt get far.

Called back later and someone understood and passed it to [CSA Removed] in L2 who came back to me saying this was an exchange side fault and it was being worked and to leave my eqpt on. Someone would chase and be in touch should be 24h.

Nothing back by this afternoon and called and had one of those circular discussions "openreach will not tell us what it is or how long it will take to fix, but these faults usully clear in 24 hours". I kept asking how can you say that if openreach wont tell you what the problem is or how long it will be. I dont get this, I have worked with OR and ISP's and an exchange has 3 types of kit. Openreach owned and run, shared services and ISP owned kit. Lets see, both of my neighbours are on sky and connect to the same VDSL cabinet as me so the issue must be in the exchange with plusnets own infra that Openreach look after. If this was a chunk of shared OR backhaul there would be issues across other ISP's, everyone in my street across 3 other ISP's are working ok tonight.

I was also told this was a large outage ... but neither openreach or plusnets service outage page has a grain of info !

I dont get how plusnet can say we dont know what it is. If this is plusnet infrastructure at the exchange that openreach have a service contract on they have to speak to plusnet about it.

I get that stuff breaks, ive fixed a lot in my life and sometimes it takes time to get kit on site .... but I was told today that there is no way for plusnet to find out from their service provder, OpenReach a) what the issue is and b) when it will be fixed. No, somethings not right here. I'm now resigned to having broadband off for the next while.

I know that OpenReach have to maintain confidentialty between the ISP's they service, but there's no regulation that states they must do it in 100% isolation with no acountability.

I've spent hours calling, waiting in the queue to just start the same story with a new person each time. No single ownership and no ongoing followup. I was basically told yesterday that this was the situation and it "should be cleared in 24h which was 9pm tonight.

We're all out of our mobile data allowances now and my daughter is trying to study for her med-school finals year exams next week, I spent Vallentines evening and night on the phone and ive had to pull apart all my networking and phone box to go through the basic trouble shooting.

What ive been told by differing people at plusnet doesnt agree and in some cases, doesnt stack up. ie plusnet pay openreach huge sums of money for infrastructure but are not given detail or timeframe for major outages. Odd that openreach have a public website you can look up outages on if they wont give info to ISPs.

It's a shame, it's all the bs and lack of ownership that fries my patience, not when stuff breaks. If someone had been upfront and said sorry it may be 2-5 days I could have made other plans and not wasted any time. They didnt and im stuck in the fixed in a few hours loop and then when its not having to call and Q again.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

liamb2016
Dabbler

Yeah really not good is it. I I'm still not back on today. I work from home and this is delaying my some already late work I need to send over and tethering is too slow for me.

I found out my contract runs out today and they want to know if I'll stay (this really isn't helping them) I dont understand why they don't keep me updated, their fault or not.

I'd yours back on yet and where abouts are you located out of interest? I not morecambe is it 🤔
sw34669
Dabbler

Still off today no update for 24 hours . I updated the ticket last night asking for an update, nothing.

Im just outside Glasgow.

sw34669
Dabbler

ticket #

liamb2016
Dabbler

Yeah same but there is an open reach van round the corner and I know how useless bt can be 🙄
liamb2016
Dabbler

Well the open reach van has left and I've still got no Internet. Over 24 hours now not happy!! Hope we can claim compensation for this!
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @liamb2016, I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing problems with your connection.

It looks like when you contacted us earlier there was unfortunately a network outage in your area that our suppliers were already aware of and working on resolving.

I'm happy to see that your account is now showing an active connection, however please do let us know if you're still experiencing problems with the connection.

Hi @sw34669, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your connection.

I understand there is a fault report raised with our suppliers to investigate this further, however we are currently awaiting further updates from our suppliers.

Once we have received updates from our suppliers and can proceed further with investigating this matter, we will be sure to let you know.

Thanks for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet