cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed halfed

techniz
Hooked

Internet Speed halfed

I've been having connectivity issues for the past 4 hours or so, ie connection up and down. It now appears semi-stable, however, my connection speed has gone from 21/3.5mb to 10/1mb.

I've restarted my router a few times and tested connections etc and the speed does not change now at 10/1mb.  

Anything else I can try to fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Internet Speed halfed

First thing, check sites like down detector to see if your local telephone area has problems.

Second thing, don't keep restarting the the router, let it negotiate. You'll be surprised how this can help.

Third thing, if you have problems in your local area (often due to weather), all you can do is just bare with it.

Give it a few days.

Finally, if you have static on your phone line, perhaps there's some physical damage across the line in your area.

If so, you might have to contact plusnet who will then contact openreach and have an engineer sent out.

These are just assumptions; I assume you are using broadband, I assume it's copper wire telephony.

techniz
Hooked

Modem is left on, however connection is now dropping every 5 minutes, orange light kicks in, then goes blue.

Will contact pn tomorrow if still I curing.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @techniz

I'm really sorry to see you're having connection & speed issues.

I've tested your line today and the tests are showing a "Loop" fault somewhere on the infrastructure outside of your property, so I've raised this to our suppliers and we've been given an estimated response time of by 26/01/22 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further. We'll update as soon as we know more.

For future reference, you can report a fault to us by text through following the instructions Here and in a lot of cases, we'll automatically arrange an engineer with you there and then.

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet