Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Speed Slow

FIXED
JJW
Hooked

Internet Speed Slow

Hi,

I spoke to somebody last night about issues that I was having with my internet speed. In short, the speed is back to normal (~36mbps on wifi) as of this morning. I'm happy with the speed that I'm currently receiving, but a bit concerned/confused about why I had at least 24 hours of very low speeds (~6mbps).

The person that I spoke to over the phone didn't really ask for much information, so thought I'd add more detail here - presumably you can link this text to the fault that was raised yesterday.

On Tuesday evening I was experiencing slow internet speeds on my computer and tv streaming device, but just put it down to issues with the wifi. Last night I was still experiencing issues, so I ran a speed test and was only getting around 6mbps download speed over wifi.

I tried:

another computer to check that it wasn't a device-specific issue

moving one of the devices next to the router to rule out interference from walls etc.

I used a wifi analyser to make sure that I was on the best channel available 

I plugged an ethernet cable into my computer and was still experiencing issues. 

I reset the router, plugged directly into the test socket 

I reset my wireless settings

None of the above fixed the issue, so I spoke to one of your staff over the phone who raised a fault.

However, on waking up this morning I was back to the previous speed of ~36mbps. 

As I said, happy with the speed as long as it remains, but a bit concerned about why there were issues in the first place. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Internet Speed Slow

Thanks for getting in touch @JJW

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your connection speeds

It looks like there's what's known as a hot VLAN in your area which is basically a capacity problem. This means that you'll experience poorer speeds at peak times but normal speeds during off-peak times.

I've spoken with our suppliers regarding this and they've passed this to their complex faults team to arrange for your line to be moved to less congested equipment.

I'm monitoring this for you personally and we'll update you as soon as we know more.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
JJW
Hooked

Thanks @MatthewWheeler for the update and I'm happy to hear that I wasn't losing the plot! I look forward to further news.

Cheers,

JJW
Hooked

Hi @MatthewWheeler. Thanks for your email on Friday about moving us to different exchange equipment. I wondered if you had any idea of when the fix was likely to happen.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@JJW,

The current review date is tomorrow, so we should have something for you on the 16th when notes are uploaded. It's unlikely that will be when everything is moved across, more a solid date in place for something to be actioned.

JJW
Hooked

Thanks @JOLO, I look forward to an update.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Fix

Hey @JJW,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

From the notes it looks like your service has been moved to a "cooler VLAN", can you reset the router and let us know how you get on?

Thanks.

JJW
Hooked

Thanks - everything has been fine the last few nights 👍

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @JWW.

Thank you for getting back in touch, I'm glad to hear that everything looks to be working okay at the moment. Please let us know if you experience any further problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team