cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Loses connection every night around midnight to 1am

cwaite
Rising Star

Re: Internet Loses connection every night around midnight to 1am

Thank you @Gandalf, unfortunately, this week and next I will be unable wait in for an Openreach Engineer, I will see what happens after the DLM reset then if the resyncs continue will raise a fault next week.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, let us know how it goes over the next few days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

I walked passed the cabinet that I am connected to this morning a Huawei 288 /384HD FTTC cabinet and  that an extension pod has been added to the side (like the one in the Picture below, please note this is not the actual picture of the cab I am connected to but it looks identical) its only been added within the last week as I do walk past it at least once a week, and the new shiny pod sticks out like a sore thumb due to the fading paintwork on the cabinet.

2669__500x550_street_cabinet_with_384hd_upgrade.jpg

Putting 2 and 2 together it seems likely that my problems started when this was fitted or activated as you can see from the Graph below my connection was lost from 00:53 to 01:07 on 19th September, it came back at over 30mbps which is much higher than usual (but has obviously since dropped and been banded). I can only assume this work they needed to shut down the cab to activate or connect up the extra ports that I am assuming are in this pod.

20190919 Dropped.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @cwaite 

It's possible that the recent work at the cabinet had started the disconnections, but it'd be difficult to say until we've sent an engineer out and as line tests aren't showing any external causes, the only way we'd be able to progress a fault with our suppliers would be by arranging an appointment unfortunately.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

On 19th September work commenced to add more capacity to the FTTC Cabinet I am connected to, that night it appears everyone that is connected to that cab lost connection for about 10 minutes, over the course of the next few nights every other night my connection would drop at some point in the early hours of the morning every other night (normally my lines stays connected for months at a time), in the end my line was banded to 24998kbps, @Gandalf kindly performed a remote DLM reset, but again my line still continued to drop due to a large number (600) of CRC errors occurring for 1 second every other night, I would guess this was electrical interference, as whenever we have a thunderstorm here the lightning causes the same sort of error and also knocks my VDSL out, work has still been continuing at the cabinet and on 13th October the original age old telephone cabinet was replaced with a larger cabinet to accommodate the extra connections, then a few days later some cabling works were carried out to connect the new ports from the FTTC cabinet to the new Telephone cabinet, as far as I can tell all of the works are now complete and I have been monitoring the line using DSL Stats 6.5 and it does appear that the errors have now virtually stopped but on the odd occasion when the errors CRC errors occur they are much less than they were (around 80 CRC errors for 1 second).

As it looks like all the works have now been completed and the fact that the errors are less frequent and not as severe would someone be kind enough to  do a remote DLM reset on my line to lift the banding to see if the problem has been solved.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We're requesting another DLM reset for you, let us know how your speeds look by Wednesday next week.

Fingers crossed the work Openreach have carried out improves your service in general.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

20191101 DLM Reset.pngThank you @Gandalf I have dropped the Wan and Rebooted the HG612 Modem, the Down SNR has dropped from 8.6 to 6.3 db but the banding still seems to be present as my speed is still stuck at 24999kbps, is there anything else you need to do to remove the banding?

Thanks again

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm afraid the request for a remote DLM reset is far from instant, it generally takes a minimum of 1 working day and from my own experience, an average of around 2 to 3 working days.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cwaite
Rising Star

I will keep an eye on it, the SNR has dropped from 8.6 to 6.2db which was where is was prior to the banding, so something has happened but I will wait till Wednesday to see if the banding gets lifted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet