Dabbler

Re: Internet Instability - Line Noise

Ha ha, no not yet, I'm not on my computer. I was answering on my phone Smiley

I'll go get it on now and test it.
richbut
Dabbler

Hello

I have carried out a few different ping tests to check the line, i have restarted everything from the router, shut off the software firewall (Mcafee) and on the ping test i did it was much better, is there less people on the local servers today being Christmas Eve?

I still had a ping spike here and there but on the most it was much more stable.

I also did a ping plotter to bbc.co.uk and noted some packet loss and some spikes on there...so im not sure?

Cheers

richbut
Dabbler

Tell a lie, i just started looking again and there is some more interference

see attached image 

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

A couple of things on bbc1 2019-12-24 123500.

You can ignore the top ?.   This is your router not always responding to the ICMP request.   To be able to read these properly you have to get your head around the fact that for the packet to hit the 2nd hop and report back to the ping plot, it's gone out through hop one and back again.  Therefore, even if hop 1 is showing 50% packet loss, the fact that hop2 is showing no packet loss means that hop one is NOT dropping packets.

Remember, it is not the primary job of a router to respond to ICMP requests.  Sometimes they ignore them when they are busy, sometimes they are configured to never reply, meaning they look like they are dropping the packets.

Similar with the 71% loss on 141.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk.   Because 140.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk after it id showing no packet loss and a nice stable latency, it demonstrates that everything else before it was performing well.

Your last 2 ?s are more interesting.   The fact that the last hop is responding back to you within 19.1ms on average suggests all is fine up to there, despite the big jump on the before.  However, there has been some packet loss right at the end of the test.  This appears to be within the BBC network though, so not conclusive of a problem with your line

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

Again that looks really regular!  Do you have any Christmas lights on?  (or anything which turns on or off with monotonous regularity)

Kelly Dorset
richbut
Dabbler

Thanks, i thought this might be the case on my router, was just concerned that it wasn't happening on previous tests

I just pinged sky.com

You cant quite see on the image put you can see the average is higher, it keeps jumping up to between 150ms-500ms when communicating with their servers, this was the same on bbc, so is there an issue between moving from plusnet hops on to the outside servers?

richbut
Dabbler

absolutely nothing, the router is also 2ft from the computer connect by a shielded cable

Kelly
Hero

Average through to Sky is fine though.   I'm not seeing any reasons for it.  We've just done a check on your line and it looks fine from here.  Do you have another router to try?   It's almost never the router, but worth a go.

Kelly Dorset
richbut
Dabbler

I dont im afraid.

im stumped...its definitely spiking and its causing jitter on the line... 🤔

richbut
Dabbler

suggest a specific website i can ping so its a neutral test?

Kelly
Hero

Sorry, it was Christmas so I was out Smiley

Best place to be tracing or pinging to will be the game servers themselves if you can get their addresses.

Kelly Dorset