cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Instability - Line Noise

richbut
Dabbler

Internet Instability - Line Noise

OK, so i'm a gamer and we need good ping, speed and no lost packets or interference on the line.

My connection speed is pretty solid and does not tend to drop to much as you will see in the speed test.

The ping is quite high and fluctuates quite a lot and this is where the issue is.

I was watching my ping and it keeps spiking all the time, causing issues with gaming, see the ping pics attached.

I ran the tracert you suggested on a previous post and there appears to be big issues

Can you stabilise my line so i'm not getting the ping spikes, this should be lower than 20ms all the time.

All the tests were done with one computer connected wired direct to the router about 3ft away no other people on the line. The pings were done while not gaming and whilst gaming to show that the issue is constant in both situations.

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Internet Instability - Line Noise

Hi @richbut

Could you please provide the tracert results here and the results of a wired speed test please?

Thanks

Dave

richbut
Dabbler

Attachments on original post mate?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @richbut

My apologies - the attachments didn't show in the program we use to view threads (but they are clearly there on the external site, so thank you).

The tracert and speed test results you've provided don't illustrate any issues - a ping of between 13ms and 20ms is actually pretty good. The ping spikes you've demonstrated on the graphs are concerning, but they don't seem to be related to the network steps that are shown in the tracert.

Could you please confirm which game you're playing when these spikes happen? Does this occur over multiple games and multiple devices? Are you connected via wifi, ethernet or powerline adaptor?

Thanks

Dave

richbut
Dabbler

It affects all games i play

Its an ethernet connection, and i only have one device for games

richbut
Dabbler

There are clearly spikes that are happening, it should be stable but it keeps dropping in a spike every now and again...

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @richbut

As per my colleagues post above we can't see any causes of this remotely. Can you use a tool such as pingplotter which should give us more information

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
richbut
Dabbler

ME:so there is no indication of a problem, nothing that is showing as to why quite clearly in the ping monitor that i already attached (see the images on first post - I can post more of this if you want?) showing ping spikes constantly on my line?

PN:no....

PN:run another program to tell us the same story so we can waste more time trying to eat mince pies...

ME:sigh...nearly 2020 and we cant get stable connections

what data do you want off ping plotter?

richbut
Dabbler

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@richbut,

Just because this hasn't been provided previously here's your connection logs:

The line isn't unstable from the radius connections, but it is banded so I'll need to get that reset which I've passed to be done. Due to the period it's unlikely this will complete until Friday though, possibly next Monday. 

This shouldn't affect any ping or packet loss though, but those trace routes and ping tests are not anything to be concerned about. The hops that are showing issues on our internal network are not always expected to respond to ping tests in a way normal hops would. It's job is to route internet traffic, not respond to random ping and traceroutes. We've made trace 3 visible, but trace 3 is no different than trace 8 on the list which is hidden by the owner. Someone like @Kelly is probably much more able to explain how that works better than I ever will.

richbut
Dabbler

I did say that the connection is ok, as in its connected and on, but there is something that gives me ping spikes at random and patterned intervals as shown in the pictures i shared on first post.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

This one: https://community.plus.net/aptgm87544/attachments/aptgm87544/Fibre/105000/2/Ping..2019-12-17%2015322...

Is weird!

Do you still see that consistent pattern?  Your line looks stable in the traces/pingplots apart from this regular jump/packet loss?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
richbut
Dabbler

Hello

Yes, I still get this type of spike, its inconsistent but it's there every time i monitor the ping, mainly when I play games however it is there when I'm idling or just surfing the web too, its really strange!

I have restarted the router, it's a wired connection on a shielded cable, the router is 2-3ft actual distance from my computer, it's a newish router from you guys, computer is mid range gaming computer so shouldn't be that.

Like I say, the actual connection is not the issue, that's been great, it's the stability on the actual line, if I was just surfing the web or working it would not be an issue but it's clearly giving me some issues in games.

When I'm in games its spiking randomly and in patterns so I'm thinking it's something to do with the routing of the packets somehow?

Not sure what else to try my end unless you have any suggestions?

Cheers
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you get a longer pingtest?  In that first image it looks like a regular spike, as if you've some sort of interference causing it.  A longer view may show it's not that regular,

What games are you noticing the issue in?  All games, or just one in particular.    It is a shared internet connection?  Are people watching Netflix, downloading, or anything similar at the same time?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
richbut
Dabbler

That was a long test but it was only a snapshot of the issue. Not sure i can download the entire test but will have a look in to this or I'll take multiple screenshots

It's all types of games, pubg, cs:go, fortnite are the main ones I have checked the ping on.

It is a shared connection with the family but when I have tested it there has been no other devices connected and nothing that would be interfering like that.

The firewall on the router has been opened to allow all traffic and windows firewall is turned off and so is McAfee