cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Down - Slow Plusnet Speeds

john10001
Grafter

Internet Down - Slow Plusnet Speeds

My Internet went down last night and stopped working.

There are no issues at my end with any of my equipment.

There's an orange flashing letter b on the front of my Plusnet hub and orange light. It is definitely a fault with the Plusnet equipment. All the usual troubleshooting did not work.

I have disconnected the hub and connected to the really old router that goes into a modem and the Plusnet connection seems to work on that. Hopefully, that will not go down as well as I depend on my connection for my job.

Incidentally, when I signed up for this fibre broadband connection with Plusnet 2 years ago they told me I would get upto 76 Mbps download speed. Right after my speed dropped from 38 Mbps to less than half that. I then had to go through lots of trouble contacting Plusnet but they eventually sent me this new hub which has now stopped working.

The speeds initially improved to 60 Mbps but after only a few months they dropped to between 38 and 45 again which is no better than what I had previously. They had said on the phone to me I should expect around 60 Mbps consistently.

My only conclusion I can come to is that Plusnet is deliberately throttling the speeds on my line and have been misleading about the speeds customers can get.

I made a complaint to them a month ago about the speeds but so far they have not responded or even acknowledged the complaint.

I am currently investigating other options for ISP. I may have to escalate my complaint with Plusnet to other regulatory bodies.

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,206

Re: Internet Down - Slow Plusnet Speeds

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

@john10001 

It would appear that your post has two topics:

1. Your hub has probably developed a fault.

2. You wish to air an illogical conspiracy theory.

In response:

1. Plusnet supply a hub with a 12month guarantee. Outside of this they will supply a replacement when you recontract if you ask and will generally replace it if you have recently recontracted. If a Plusnet staffer comes along they may send you one. Another cheap option is to get a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site. These are better devices with superior WiFi and are used by many of us. These need setting up to work with Plusnet, you will find instructions pinned to the top of the Router board.

2. If you are looking for help with your speed can you start with confirming that you are measuring your speed over an Ethernet cabled connection, not wireless. Also what diagnostic tests you have performed.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@john10001 wrote:

The speeds initially improved to 60 Mbps but after only a few months they dropped to between 38 and 45 again which is no better than what I had previously. They had said on the phone to me I should expect around 60 Mbps consistently.

My only conclusion I can come to is that Plusnet is deliberately throttling the speeds on my line and have been misleading about the speeds customers can get.

I am currently investigating other options for ISP. I may have to escalate my complaint with Plusnet to other regulatory bodies.

Is the phone line ok? Quiet Line Test: Dial 17070. Choose option 2 from the menu presented. Any noise?

2 years ago I had a very similar problem where the speed dropped away. Took Openreach 4 goes to fix the problem but turned out it was the wire that came over from the pole to the house. They replaced that and had no issues since. If you have a spare router (modem) try using that to see if the problem remains. Its one reason I keep one known good router / modem. You can test and eliminate a lot of problems just by replacing certain kit yourself.

But as @Baldrick1 implys Plusnet don't throttle. DLM might do that i.e. set your sync speed lower and usually it does it if there is a fault on the line. If you have tried all the suggested tests, raise a fault.

Edit: As for moving ISP, given they tend to use the same phone line, cabinet etc any fault existing on that will still be there, whoever you are with. Get the fault fixed first.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?