cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Cutting Out on Split SSID

magiclollyl

Internet Cutting Out on Split SSID

My router is supposed to automatically assign either 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi to whatever needs it, however this feature wasn't working and my phone desperately needed the 5GHz WiFi. I split the SSID so there is the original connection and now a 5GHz connection. My problem is, the 5GHz connection sometimes disappears and when I try and reconnect in the list of WiFi connections, it just comes up with the 2.4GHz one. If my phone can find one signal, then surely it should pick up on a different signal coming from the same router as clearly distance is not a problem? (attached is what my phone picks up, as soon as it connects to one it can't see the other, I had been scanning for the 5GHz one for ages before I took the screenshot).
Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
samzh
Grafter

Re: Internet Cutting Out on Split SSID

The upside of 5G is the increase in speed that it is capable of offering. However, the downside is that its range is much more heavily affected by obstacles such as walls, pipes and microwave ovens. 5G is best when near the router while 2.4GHz is an all-rounder, usually good for some distance. This is most likely why your 5.8GHz SSID is often unavailable while the 2.4GHz remains visible. HTH.

magiclollyl

That does explain it, however my internet speed is drastically lower when I'm using the 2.4GHz on my phone, sometimes even lower than 1mbps download speed!
samzh
Grafter

Try comparing download speeds at various distances from the router, try taking the batteries out of cordless phones (also usually trying to use 2.4GHz) and any other "cordless" devices you may have. 2.4GHz is a popular household electronics frequency, and lots of things you own - AND that your neighbours own, too - can affect your Broadband WiFi connection. These days, in suburbia, it's often more good luck than management that we get stable WiFi signals at all.

If all else fails and you can't find happiness with what you have, there's always the option of buying a WiFi range extender. It's further expense, but it does give results if you can't get by without them.

magiclollyl

My computer is connected to the 2.4GHz and has 38mb download speed (which we pay for) I put my phone next to it and got 0.7mb but identical upload speed. The 5GHz made it 24mb, but it cuts out occasionally.
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Have you tried manually changing the 5Ghz channel around on your router? Might help. There's a handy app called 'WiFi Analyzer' that will show you the least congested channels to go for where you are.

samzh
Grafter

Yep, I just tested my phone on 2.4GHz, right next to my router, and it's only getting 1.3Mbps. Rather strangely, I'm only getting 0.9Mbps on 5G from the same router. I suspect that the issue lies with our phones more than with the router.

magiclollyl

Have you got an iPhone?
samzh
Grafter

Nahh, I've got a Umi Touch on Android.