cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent severe packet loss

frostyed

Intermittent severe packet loss

Hi,

I'm having strange problems with my fibre broadband. I use a TD-W9970 in bridge mode as the modem, and Google Wifi for my router and wifi.

The symptoms are that periodically (about three times an hour at the moment!) my connection stops working. I've been running network monitoring tests throughout the day to further diagnose the problem. To my surprise, i learned the following:

1). My DSL connection remained up all day! (checked via status logs on the W9970). SNR is a healthy 6 in both directions,. I note there's some downstream packet loss.

2). I've used the MTR tool to characterise the network between me and google.co.uk both in normal conditions and during the outages. During outages MTR shows that the problem lies between my modem and the DSL gateway (i get close to 100% icmp loss from the gateway, and all hops beyond. There's no icmp loss between my pc, router and modem, so everything is good at least up to the modem).

3). The outages typically last for 10s of seconds

4). Analysis of my ping logs suggest i've had 19 outages of this type between 13:00 and 19:00 today!

Working from home is impossible with a connection like this. All help greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
frostyed

Re: Intermittent severe packet loss

here's a typical screenshot of MTR during an outage

frostyed

here's a screenshot of the DSL status on my modem

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @frostyed - I can see we've got an open fault raised on the account asking to complete some further checks. If you wouldn't mind running through those and updating the ticket here and we'll get this progressed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team