cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem. Upload speed 0.

benj1
Hooked

Intermittent problem. Upload speed 0.

I joined plusnet in early December as my first fibre provider.
Since the start there has been an intermittent problem where websites won't load (e.g. Facebook, bbc, Tesco, banking although YouTube always works), The problem can last an hour, two hours, all day and then start working again.

Obviously I raised a ticket. Since then, I have run the BT wholesale checker many times. Whenever the problem is there, the download speed is fine (37meg) but the upload speed is very low (typically 0.01 to 0.1Meg). Always tested via lan cable with wireless disabled.

Each agent I talk to says that upload speed shouldn't matter, yet it seems clear it does (presumably there is a certain amount of data being sent back).

Had the Openreach engineer out who replaced the master socket. Of course when he was here the connection speed was fine (37meg down, 1.5meg upload). But then a couple of hours later not working again.

Now we have a new router which has been running for 24 hours with very poor connection, same symptoms, good download, rubbish upload. This morning the upload speed is 0.01Meg. Internet is unusable.

I don't know what the problem could be and it seems plusnet are struggling too. But there is a lack of ownership by anyone there and I keep ending up dealing with a first line support person who isn't able to see past my download speed being fine and that the fault is intermittent.

My guess is that there is a problem in one of the 20 connections (that's how many the Openreach engineer said there are) between my house and the cabinet.

Anyone able to offer any advice?

5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Intermittent problem. Upload speed 0.

Upload speed: The speed at which information is transferred from your computer to the internet. The faster the upload speed, the smoother the online experience you'll have. Upload speeds also determine how quickly you can send emails, post photos on Facebook or upload large videos or batches of photos to sites like YouTube and Flickr.

The agent said Huh upload dont matter .

Hopefully Staff here will have a look Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
benj1
Hooked

In their defence, the point was that a poor upload speed wouldn't stop Facebook for example loading. Well something does and I can't believe that virtually zero upload speed isn't to blame.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Some upload bandwidth is used to acknowledge download traffic - so it will impact it.

benj1
Hooked

So a week later and still no better off. A half-hearted attempt to contact me to ask me a simple question as to whether the problem was related to the time of day (which it isn't). I replied to the ticket. Silence again.

Two months into my contract, two months of problems. I chose Plusnet due to their better reputation for customer service. Can't see I could have been any worse with a cheaper supplier.

jane2

hi having same problem and people on skype cannot hear me but i can hear them no matter which device i use same with messanger. phone helpline tonight and told Plusnet are aware there is an up loading problem and working on it but no idea how long it will take . must say first time in years had an unsatisfactory reply from them 

dont know if this helps or anyone has an answer