cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent orange light on router and loss of connection

neilmcgowan

Intermittent orange light on router and loss of connection

Hi, can one of the staff help please, for days now my orange light and b indicator on the router comes on then returns to blue restoring the connection.  This is so frustrating, can't get onto online chat as connection goes and phone lines require 15 minutes wait time.

6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Intermittent orange light on router and loss of connection

Next time this starts to happen can you try stopping anything that's uploading please and see if the problem continues?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
neilmcgowan

Seems better today but will try if happens again. Doubt it's upload as rarely upload anything.
priest_004

Hi there,

Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I have been having the same problem since before I UPGRADED to fibre.

I need to talk to someone about this as I'm slowly losing the will to live with Telephone support.

Thanks in advance 

James

P.S. please let me know if I was supposed to post somewhere else. Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@neilmcgowan

The disconnections were definitely around the same times that a decent amount upload happened, each for around an hour a time.

@priest_004

Really it's best to start your own thread rather than post on someone else's, as although the symptoms can be similar the cause can be drastically different and advice given to one may not be the same as advice to another.

However we're not seeing disconnections on your line, there's been 1 in the last 2 weeks:

Are you on a wired or wireless connection?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
priest_004

Hi Chris,

Sorry again and thank you for replying.

All of my devices are wireless. But my problem is not that I loose connection to my network, it is that my router periodically goes through some kind of disconnect and then a loop at trying to reconnect. This results in the situation as above. A sequence of different lights light with the orange flashing "b". 

I have tried to switch my router off and then on.

I have tried to connect via an ethernet cable (even changing everything so that was the only device connected at the time).

I have tried a different router (supplied by plusnet as they thought my first one was faulty)

I then "Upgraded" to Fibre and the problems continue. 

There are several points that I am unhappy with.

Firstly that this happens at all, and all I get told is "This kind of thing is to be expected and it is considered 'Normal' ".

Secondly, that after having "Upgraded" to fibre, I am now being told that it is for a new contract and I'm tied to plusnet for another 2 years, when I was originally told that I was upgrading not that I was renewing. 

And Thirdly, that after all this time I continue to get this periodic loss of connection and nothing has been done to solve the issue. (I pay for this service and so therefore I expect that when I come to use it EVERY time, that it will work, unless there is some kind of wider shortage that Plusnet are trying to sort at the time or otherwise some kind of infrastructural disaster or unavoidable circumstance). Also, my budget is very limited, and to be told that after running line checks from your end with "no fault" detected, to then be told we could send an engineer but it could cost you £60. I just don't have that kind of money spare.

Please any kind of help you can offer would be gratefully received.
James 

neilmcgowan

How can I find out what's being uploaded, that seems strange as I genuinely am unaware of this. Can I find out what device this is?