Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent loss of Internet

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Intermittent loss of Internet

Have lost the internet connection a few times last evening and again today. Connection remains apparently (Router log shows continually connected) but Internet is shown as unavailable on PC and seemingly hangs on iPad. All returns to normal after about a minute, maybe a tad more.
Is it likely something at my end, or outside my control?
2 REPLIES 2
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Intermittent loss of Internet

Hi Dan,
I'm guessing that these are on wireless connections? It looks like you are staying connected on your Radius log.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Intermittent loss of Internet

Hi Matty, Thanks for replying. Oddly, I was wired, which made me question the loss of internet. I remained connected as you say, and assumed either something amiss my end, or perhaps a loss of connection at your end.
I use an ASUS DSL-AC68U Modem router. It's been consistently faster than the BTO supplied modem (I have one of each Huawei and BCI?), noticeably faster. However, its got many variables and can be set up a number of ways, and I worry that it is actually perhaps causing DLM slowdowns?? All I have ever found regarding set-up for use with PlusNet are the same one or two forum posts over about three different forums. A request to ASUS support is still wending its way at the speed of light and one assumes that ASUS Support are some way outside the Solar System!
Current settings have the link very stable, very few CRC's down, None Up. Early this morning (following the period of stable connection you refer to) there was a break in service about 05:00 which I took to be a DLM intervention. The router log shows that SNR Down and Up has reduced (Down from about 10.5 to about 8.1, Up from about 6.8 to about 5.7) and actual connected speed has apparently improved (on this log only) by 3.6Mbps. However, speed test shows speeds unaltered which is odd, and BTW Performance Test shows yesterdays profile. also unaltered.
Was the break in service a line test, I wonder? Was it you? (do you start that early? surely not!).
It's all a puzzle, I just want as fast a connection as I can get, obsessed with speed maybe, as it works well slower.^-)
Any thoughts?
Dan