cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent high latency issues even on WIRED.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Intermittent high latency issues even on WIRED.

Hi @kerrypuricelli,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing these issues. I've tested your line today and I'm unable to detect any kind of fault that would be causing the issues that you're experiencing, at least from our end of things. Before we go any further, have you been able to try using an alternative router to rule out it being a hardware issue?

I also haven't seen it mentioned so far on this thread but, are you aware if this issue is occurring across multiple devices or only one?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Since the issue is intermittent I'll wait for it to happen again and then test it on other devices (both wireless and wired.) I plan to get a custom router as I do think the router we have isn't able to handle the amount of connections but the fact that there isn't a correlation between how many are online and when the problems occur I ignored it.

I'll get back to you with the results when it happens.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you @kerrypuricelli,

Please let us know how you get on with this and please don't hesitate to get back in touch if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@TheMightyAJ wrote: <snipped>

Before we go any further, have you been able to try using an alternative router to rule out it being a hardware issue?

I've just spotted something Huh

I'm not sure why (I've actually forgot the reason), but the tracert results are showing dsldevice.lan on the first post. This could be due to Alex using an Openreach modem, though shouldn't it be pnh1 or PNHUB1 or similar on the first hop.....?

(my tracerts always give a reference to either my PNH1 or my BTSH6)

So, if no modem is in use, why is the first hop not showing what I'd expect to see (is the router authenticating correctly Plusnet?)

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Just tried it today at this current time. Both my wired PC and my wireless laptop are having a few pings that reach 200ms but I haven't seen one of those 3000ms+ ones.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @kerrypuricelli,

I'm glad to hear that your connection is looking a bit better. Please keep an eye on it and let us know if the high latency issue comes back.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Right now I'm getting 1000ms+ ping. Both on my wired and wireless device. It's very intermittent but it's happening.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @kerrypuricelli,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still getting intermittent high ping. Testing your line still isn't picking up the cause of this from here:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL

As the troubleshooting checks haven't resolved this problem, we'll need to investigate this further. Please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
kerrypuricelli
Grafter

It's happening now. On my wired device and also across wireless devices too. Here's the ping and tracert:

ping.pngtracert.png

What do I do at this point. It's really frustrating and it's so infrequent.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Alright this thread hasn't been very alive for a while and I'd like to close it at some point so here's what I'll do.

I'm gonna do a ping test every few hours for about a minute or so. I'll post that to this thread and it'll look something like this:

stat1.png

This is the ping statistics for 5:30 AM or so. This ping is for the steamcommunity.com website and I'll also test the plus.net website as well from this point on.

If there isn't any clear issue that can be found after this I believe I will call in someone to check it themselves. I do plan on buying a router (with a built-in modem) to help with all the bufferbloat and multiple connections issue. Probably something with QoS. Any suggestions?

After all that the thread should be closed with either a fix or an answer at least.

Thanks for all the help so far, I'll be keeping you posted every few hours.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Here it is for steamcommunity.com:

stat2.png

A request to plus.net kept timing out so I gave up on that.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @kerrypuricelli, thanks for updating us.

Due to the Static IP not helping, I have just emailed one of our Digital Team to see if he's able to take a look, as the service doesn't seem to be routing correctly for a Static IP.

I believe he's out of the office today but I expect he'll respond to me when he's back in tomorrow and I should then be able to update you further.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Alright. I appreciate the update in response. I guess I won't continue the hourly tests until he gets back to you.

Thanks.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

No worries, @kerrypuricelli

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure Owen will come back to you as soon as he knows more.

Best wishes

Dave

kerrypuricelli
Grafter

Hello is there any update? The issue still persists and I've heard nothing.