cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent drop outs

tracysid
Hooked

Re: Intermittent drop outs

I have exactly the same problem, I've made numerous phone calls and my support ticket is getting shelved after 2 days of uninterrupted service so I'm constantly contacting PN to tell them it isn't fixed.

They've run line tests etc and sending out a new router next week! I am not at all technical so the fixes mentioned are not possible for me. 

Our non fibre service was so much better.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@tracysid post in the thread above and might be able to get your line added to the test fix being done.

Do you know how to log into the router and copy the logs out at all as that will show hopefully why the line is disconnecting. If you don't Go to 192.168.1.254 and click on the troubleshooting tab and then the event log link and select wan.
Then copy into a text file and upload an attachment here.
tracysid
Hooked

This is the latest report. Thanks

MrSilver
Pro

Hi, at the top of the page there is a filter where you can change all to WAN, that will help show the specific broadband logs.

tracysid
Hooked

This is the WAN. Thanks

MrSilver
Pro

thanks @traysid can you also do one more please on the PPP filter? Look for something like

PPP LCP Send Termination Request [PPPoE PADT received]

It may need you to check shortly after you get a disconnection as sometimes the logs get full and overwrite whats in there.

tracysid
Hooked

I'm not sure where to look? Sorry

tracysid
Hooked

Is this it? Thanks

MrSilver
Pro

Same page as before, in the event log. Instead of selecting WAN there should be a PPP option instead.

tracysid
Hooked

Sorry, no PPP option in drop down?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

To clarify...

There is no PPP drop down menu on this router, if there are no signs of the PPP dropping on the WAN page, you would need to scroll to the bottom and select the next page until you find the PPP drops etc.

However, part of the answer might be in the clue?

= Boot reason: watchdog reset

DS
Seasoned Champion

If you were wondering.... (plus I had a spare bit of time)

(reading from your first image, from the bottom upwards)
The 'IN BLOCK' events are simply telling you the routers firewall is doing it's job
The 'NTP' event is basically the router 'phoning home' to check the routers time is correct
The 'BLOCKED' events are just packets that nothing on your network needs

However, I would delete the link as it gives out your current IP address. This isn't too important for most of us as our external IP is dynamic = it changes. Those on a static IP should be more cautious when posting hub events up imho.

The next image, 'VDSL' just confirms you're on a fibre connection
Also, in basic terms it also shows your current connection speed = looks good Smiley

The third image is a little more revealing... 
The '<removed>-iPhone' connecting to the hub at a very low speed Sad
The 'udhcp' device above it has lost it's connected to the hub, has gone out of range, or been turned off
The 'android<removed>' is also connecting at a very low speed
The 'android<removed> (time 19:08:38 is connecting a reasonable speed
The 'kindle-<removed>' is also connecting at a reasonable speed
The '<device associated with Harry Potter>' dropped the connection to the hub, or out of range, or switched off
The '<removed>-iPhone is as per the same - dropped - out of range - switched off
The 'udhcp<removed>' - dropped - out of range - switched off

I would delete this link too

Therefore, there's clear evidence that the devices are dropping via wifi, not the hub connection

What would I do....
Turn off WPS, click apply
Install a wifi analyser and look at all the routers in your location. Find a channel with the least congestion.
On the 2.4GHz tab, select a channel - but try 1, 6, or 11 - it also turns off smart wifi, click apply
on the 5GHz tab, add 5GHz to the wireless SSID, click apply
See which devices see your new 'wirelessSSID5GHz' with a GOOD signal, then connect to it.
If the devices only see the original 'wirelessSSID' then select this.

tracysid
Hooked

Thank you for taking the time to help. The iphone is my daughters and probably disconnected when she left the house but she was upstairs previous to this and I'm not sure how good the signal is. The MAC (harry potter) is upstairs and wasn't being used. I think that there is still a hub issue somewhere as it flashes orange and green etc.

I will try what you have suggested later on when I'm back from work. Thanks again for your help.

DS
Seasoned Champion

tracysid wrote: (snipped) The iphone is my daughters and probably disconnected when she left the house but she was upstairs previous to this and I'm not sure how good the signal is.

Based on those events, it looks like it was the latter

I think that there is still a hub issue somewhere as it flashes orange and green etc

It shouldn't be doing that - green means it's booting up - orange means it's talking to the mothership.

Try the suggested settings above and see if the lights continue - if they do, your connection is also on the blink.

toweliechaos
Dabbler

I've just installed routerstats and although it appears to be connected to the Hub fine, it doesn't appear to be getting any information?

I have braved the cold for 15 minutes this morning to see the following:

Router on blue light, then turns to orange with 'b' lit up (for about 20s) then reverts to blue again. Approximately 10 minutes later, it does it again. The log seems to indicate this is every 10 minutes or so.

This eliminates the wired/wifi question. I made sure I had something streaming on the wired device and simultaneously using a wifi connection. When the wireless device dropped connection, I checked the stream and sure enough, the buffer was receding but of course maintained stream and still had reserve when the connection re-established.

Log attached. I've had no response from the other thread, so is my next port of call Helpdesk?