Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnects

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Intermittent disconnects

No problem Smiley

You (we) need to rule out anything on our side. Openreach, should an engineer be needed, will cover up to the master socket, unless their side has been damaged by you or within your property boundary (trees etc).

From the master socket, you're liable for any costs in rectifying it.

Things like bell wire removal cost you nothing, except a bit of time and effort.

But as it drops regardless of the phone being used, it might be something not in your control.

aeneareid
Rising Star

Can you help again? I thought all was sorted on Wednesday after I had a long chat with someone from PlusNet during which I agreed to take out a new contract and was duly read all the terms and conditions. I sat back to await the router but, as yet, there is no sign of it. Neither have I had any email confirming my new contract, nor is there any note of it when I log in to my account details. I tried phoning the Customer Options team this morning but, after briefly speaking to someone who told me there was no record of my new contract nor of any phone call and then said she'd transfer me to the Customer Options team,  I was then left hanging in silence for ages and eventually just had to hang up. Rather than repeat that debacle, I'm hoping you might be able to chase things up for me, as you did previously.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @aeneareid 

I've had a look at your account and can not see any new contract ticket at all, however, I can see that a COT agent was in your account on Wednesday. 

Do you possibly remember the name of the agent you spoke to? 

We can have a look for the call recordings - do you remember if you called off your Mobile or Landline? 

Thanks, 

MoR

aeneareid
Rising Star

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm afraid I forgot to ask the name of the agent.

The agent called me, having been prompted to do so by @adamwalker in response to my posts in this thread. I'm fairly sure it was on my mobile. My call logs show an incoming call at 17:26 (which sounds about the right time) from 0114 220 0000 so, if that's a PlusNet number then that confirms it.

In parallel with the discussion here, my abortive call to PlusNet Customer Options earlier today, has resulted in a new ticket being opened (#1888867036) and I have received a reply suggesting that I phone the Customer Options team. I'm a bit reluctant to go round that loop again until we find out what happened on Wednesday, so I'll wait till I hear back from you before taking any further action.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@aeneareid - I've asked a COT agent to give you a bell, discuss what has happened and get to the bottom of it with you. 

He should be calling very shortly. 

Please let us know how this goes. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

aeneareid
Rising Star

Thanks for that. I have just had a call (from Mark) and have been through it all again and, hopefully, that is now my new contract arranged and new router will be on it's way shortly.

Aha! I just received the email confirming my new contract as I was writing this, so that's encouraging.

I hope that someone will check the phone records for last Wednesday to find out why the agent I spoke to did not follow through.

The help from this forum has been much appreciated. I will report back when the new router is installed.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know, @aeneareid 

I'll have a look into the mystery call and see what I can find out. 

Glad to hear Mark got things sorted for you!

Kind Regards, 

MoR

aeneareid
Rising Star

Oh dear. I seem to be jinxed! Despite getting all the emails about my new contract and the postage costs of the new router being added to my bill (of 2nd April), there's still no sign of my new router. I have just come off the phone with Customer Services who told me that the router had not been ordered - ie yet another slip up by PlusNet staff.  I would have phoned to enquire earlier but [CSA Removed], who arranged the new contract, told me that it could be 5 working days before the router was delivered so I was patiently waiting. My mistake 😞 

[CSA Removed], the agent I spoke to today, assures me that he has now ordered the router for me, which should arrive in the next couple of days, so let's hope it is third time lucky.

When the router eventually comes, I will report back here (as promised) as to whether it fixes our intermittent disconnects. But seriously unimpressed by the poor service I have received from Customer Services.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @aeneareid 

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened. 

I've checked your account and can confirm the router is currently queued to be sent. 

Please accept my apologies for the ongoing issues you are facing. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

aeneareid
Rising Star

Oh dear! The new router arrived last Thursday (11th April) and, at first all seemed to be going OK. The download speed was back up to ~28 Mbps and we were not aware of any disconnects. But, alas, over the last few days we noticed some disconnects were happening with, I fear, increasing frequency and the download speed is dropping. It was down to 21Mbps on 15th April and is down to 19Mbps today. The upload speed seems more stable, however, at ~6.6Mbps but I wonder if that is because download speeds are artificially restricted.

I have taken a look at the router log (which only goes back to mid afternoon on 15 April) and there I can see lots of connection drops identified by a sequence of records similar to the following:

13:50:51, 17 Apr.

(146014.270000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

13:50:49, 17 Apr.

(146011.760000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username

13:50:49, 17 Apr.

(146011.750000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'

13:50:46, 17 Apr.

(146008.900000) PTM over DSL is up

13:50:17, 17 Apr.

(145979.840000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

(145979.810000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username

(145979.800000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'

(145979.450000) CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 4 VALUE CHANGE

13:50:14, 17 Apr.

(145976.910000) PTM over DSL is down after 14 minutes uptime

13:50:14, 17 Apr.

(145976.910000) PPPoE is down after 13 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

13:50:11, 17 Apr.

(145974.280000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Browsing back through the router logs, I can see that we have had multiple disconnects at the following times:

15 April: 15:39, 15:57, 21:14, 21:18

16 April: 01:50, 01:55, 11:40, 14:20, 15:40, 16:15, 16:30, 23:27

17 April (so far): 04:12, 04:16, 09:55, 13:08, 13:29, 13:35, 13:50

This is exactly the same sort of behavior as we were getting when I initially raised this problem. That generated a visit by the Openreach engineer who declared our connection to be fully functional and diagnosed a faulty router. But now, with a new router in place, we seem to be having the same fault. Help please!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @aeneareid and on a personal level, hello again!

I'm really sorry to hear that this has continued to occur with the new router. Having tested your line I can confirm that this definitely isn't a router issue - the line test is showing some sort of physical fault within or nearby to your premises. I'm really sorry that the previous engineer did not pick up on this.

If you could raise a fresh fault here and let us know when you've done so, we'll engage our suppliers to take another look at this as I'm convinced something within the network or corresponding connection to your premises is at fault.

Best wishes

Dave

eric1917
Dabbler

Well I have had the new router in for a few weeks and it "sort of" seems okay. I went through the house disconnecting the bell ringer wiring and thought that had solved it. BUT it still disconnects a few times a day. I did notice that it does seem to disconnect when someone phones me up. But recently (ie 10 minutes ago) it just disconnected of it's own accord.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

That's a shame. Not much I can offer, just need a member of staff to post up a RADIUS graph to see it they too can see the drops or not.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @eric1917 

Here is a RADIUS graph of the last 7(ish) days of connection history;

Seems that the disconnects are mostly isolated to 5.30-6pm, do you know of anything that comes on/goes off in your premise around that time? 

Testing hasn't located any faults that might cause this I'm afraid. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

aeneareid
Rising Star

I am resorting to posting a plea for help here, since I am not getting any response to my queries raised through my open fault report ticket #189394230.

After my last post here, we had a visit (on 23 April) from another engineer who detected a fault in the wiring coming into the house and repaired it. This seemed to fix the intermittent disconnects but did not restore the line speed to what we would expect. When the new router was installed (11 April) we initially got download speeds of 27-28 Mbps (which is what we were getting when the fibre was first installed) but, after a few days, the disconnects started re-occurring and the speed deteriorated, falling to 12 Mbps. After the engineer’s visit on the 23rd, the speed recovered a little, to around 15Mbps but, since the engineer had measured speeds of 35+ Mbps coming in to the house, there was clearly something happening to throttle the speed once the line was connected to the router.

I left it a couple of days before raising a query about the speed in the open fault report (ticket #189394230) on 25 April. I received no reply to my query but on 27 April, the speed suddenly recovered, so we now have download speeds of 27-29 Mbps again. I suspect this may have been due to some action at the PlusNet end but, since I have had no response to my query, I can’t be sure.

Although we had experienced no line disconnects during the day, I took a look at the router logs to check whether there had been any unnoticed disconnects and, much to my dismay, found some. The logs show disconnects having happened at the following times:

26 April: 02:51:34, 22:57:36
27 April: 00:39:26, 05:00:32
28 April: 03:41:15, 03:46:58

I am now worried that these disconnects may escalate as they have in the past and also that they may have a detrimental effect on the line speed.

I have reported all this in ticket #189394230, asking for some comment/explanation but, as yet, have had no reply. Hence my raising it here – queries to this forum seem to generate a speedier response than queries raised via the ticket system.