Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnects

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Intermittent disconnects

Hi @aeneareid

Thanks for the update - I've provided your engineer update here.

Best wishes

Dave

aeneareid
Rising Star

Many thanks for that quick response. Hopefully things will get fixed tomorrow.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Welcome!

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Take care

Dave

aeneareid
Rising Star

Openreach engineer has just been. Tested our line and found no faults. His diagnosis is that the problem lies with the router which, he thinks, ought to have been replaced some time ago.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm surprised to see they've mentioned that as it appears you have the latest model of router that we provide. 

I've just sent a reply to your open fault ticket suggesting how we can move things forward. Please feel free to let us know here once you've replied. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aeneareid
Rising Star

Not entirely happy. Have been told we're not entitled to a replacement router and have been offered the option of taking out a new contract instead and then just paying the postage costs of a new router. Not sure whether changing contract will have any other side effects but disappointed that Plusnet-supplied router is not seen as a PLusnet responsibility.

Engineer who visited today said he was surprised that our router was not replaced last year when we were hit by lightning which completely fried our master socket. He said there could have been damage to the router done then that wasn't immediately evident and that, in his experience, people who were hit by lightning got router replacements as well as repairs to their connection.

Your thoughts?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, starting a new contract would likely mean we can offer a new deal to so it's likely to lead to some discounts. 

If the router had been working fine since the issue you mentioned up to now then that won't have caused an issue with it as that would have happened straight away. The hardware we supply has a 12 month warranty so it may have been outside of that at the time of the previous issue. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aeneareid
Rising Star

Meant to mention this in my previous post . . .

I note that the software in our router is dated 2017 but, reading posts elsewhere in this forum, I understand that there have been software updates since then. Could our problems be down to out of date software and, potentially fixable by a software update?

aeneareid
Rising Star

OK. I will enquire about what the new contract has to offer.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, if the firmware was a cause in all honestly I would have expected you to have had issues before now in the same way of any after effects of the lightning strike you've mentioned. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aeneareid
Rising Star

Fair dos. I should have (but didn't) make a note of when the intermittent disconnects starting happening. I'm fairly sure it was last year but initially they were so infrequent and short that I just put them down to random noise rather than a potential router fault. It was only recently that they became more disruptive and I realised we must have a fault. Will chalk that one up to experience.

I have asked your Support Team for full details of new contract cost and whether there would be any changes in the services we get but I am still waiting for a response.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK, I can ask for someone to give you a call with regards to setting up a new contract if you like? - Adam 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aeneareid
Rising Star

Yes please, if that will speed things up. Though I'd prefer to have the details 'in writing', as it were, so I have a permanent record of what's being offered.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That will be no problem, do you have a preferred time for a call?

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
eric1917
Dabbler

I've only had PlusNet for a month or so and this intermittent disconnect has happened every day since then. It never happened when my supplier was either BT or Sky. I too am at a loss.