Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnects

Pnda183
Dabbler

Intermittent disconnects

Hi all

Since our connection was sorted and we moved over to the Hub One, we have been experiencing frequent disconnects. At seemingly random points, the light on the router will turn green then flick to orange and the Broadband LED with flash or stay solid red for a few minutes. After a few more minutes, the router will try to reconnect and eventually connects again.

I don't have anything that interferes with the signal, and the disconnects appear to happen at very random times. For example, it disconnected twice this morning sometime between 8am to 10am, was fairly stable during the day, then disconnected two or three times again tonight in the last couple of hours.

This is a new router (it's the one sent to me last week) and the cables that I'm using are all brand new and I've tried switching them too. The phone line is fine, and no noise that I've noticed. At a bit of a loss!
189 REPLIES 189
rocky66

Re: Intermittent disconnects

Hi Pnda183,

I'm having the same problem. Since last week, the router has dropped all wifi connections intermittently. Some times it reboots by itself and other times I have to manually reboot it.

There does not seem to be any particular time (only when I am using the internet working from home!).

The router has been operating fine for over a year, but now it will have to go.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Pnda183 @rocky66

You may have different problems with different causes. If yours is a wifi problem, one thing it may be worth trying is to give each of the wifi signals from the Hub a different ID. There have been reports that some kit can have a problem with the Hub 1 broadcasting on 2 frequencies.  How to do that at https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395....

Pnda183
Dabbler

Makes sense, and sounds like it's a fairly solid solution for WiFi issues. Thank for the suggestion!

I've just experienced another random disconnection. To clarify, it's not just WiFi. Every device (whether it's wired or wireless) remains connected to the router, but the router seems to disconnect from the broadband.
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

If it is not just the wifi (may be worth splitting the signals anyhow),  then I would run through the checks and report a fault: see what PlusNet make of it.

To report a fault, run though the checks at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ and report a fault at https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults It takes a bit of your time but costs you nothing, and makes Plusnet aware of your issue. They have to look at it, and the report gets the issue into the queue for action.

There have been problems with the BT speed test (I'm not sure whether they are resolved) but try it with Internet Explorer. If there are still problems, report speeds from an alternative speed test such as at speedtest.net.

Please let us know how you get on.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Pnda183,

Thanks for your posts.

Having run diagnostics, we aren't detecting any sort of issue with the line, however, your connection logs tell a different story:

image15419622777282

Based on the above, I'd definitely recommend raising a fault here.

@rocky66, again I'm getting an interesting picture when checking your connection logs:

image15419625049320

However - in your case I'm seeing the below:

Circuit ID <REDACTED FOR SECURITY> Service ID <REDACTED FOR SECURITY>

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 327.0
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-10-29T19:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 745.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.6 Sec
Retrains 0.0 4.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-11T18:33:57Z 2018-11-11T18:48:57Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I've added these results to your file and have raised the case to Openreach for their investigation. We expect an update in the next 3 working days and will update you accordingly when we have further information available.

If you need any further assistance in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

rocky66

Hi OskarPapa,
Thank you for the diagnostics. It’s interesting to note the timing of the interruptions — they’re all between 10am and 5:30pm. (pnda183 had interruptions at all hours.
I’ll await further info from OpenReach.
Pnda183
Dabbler

Thanks all for your help, and thanks @OskarPapa for the shot of my connection logs.

I am back in the UK now, and have reported the fault. 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for reporting the fault. I've just raised it with our supplier and have added an update to the account for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=184594627 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Pnda183
Dabbler

Responded. Thanks!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for responding.

We'll get this picked up for you shortly and the open fault updated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pnda183
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler

I've just updated the ticket, but basically the engineer said that he could not find any issues with the line or any of the cables - as far as he was concerned there should be no issues. He also mentioned that any issues might be the router, but given that it's brand new and I haven't made any significant changes to the settings, I don't know what else I can try to fix the intermittent disconnects. They still happen fairly frequently, although I'm generally not at home if they happen throughout the day, so I don't know exactly how often it happens.

Any help would be very gratefully received!

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Pnda183,

I'm sorry to see the issue is still occurring.

As the router was only sent in October, I agree that the router is not the cause of the fault. After retesting the line, your connection still shows multiple drops throughout the day with no external fault detected. I'm afraid we need to arrange a second engineer visit.

Please reply to the ticket with your availability, once you have replied let us know on here so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you. 

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Pnda183
Dabbler

Hi @Jubby

I will update the ticket with availability shortly. Could you explain what the BT engineer would be testing this time? I just want to avoid a situation where the sexond engineer performs the same or similar tests as the first engineer. Appreciate that it has been difficult to find out what this issue is and I haven't been available to be at home, but it's incredibly frustrating to have to deal with multiple disconnects, sometimes happening within an hour of each other.

Thanks!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

A second engineer visit for a dropping connection issue would involve them running a full check of the copper line from your premises to the cabinet then the fibre connection to the exchange. This is just part of a set of "quality gates" that we'll be instructing the engineer to carry out. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team