cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent crackle on line and broadband speed is down

garyw335
Hooked

Intermittent crackle on line and broadband speed is down

My fibre broadband speed is usually consistent at around 36MB down and 7Mb up. Recently however I've noticed intermittent crackle/static on the phone line. This has coincided with my broadband speed dropping to 20 to 30MB down and 1MB up. I can also see from speedtest.net that my ping time has increased from <10 to >30 and that both downstream and upstream throughput is sometimes unstable. The reduction in upstream bandwidth in particular and the intermittent crackle/static leads me to believe that there is likely a fault on my line.

As such I raised a support ticket and received the following reply which suggests that I need to book an engineer visit. Plusnet have not told me what tests if any they have performed so my question is - is there nothing further that Plusnet can do remotely to determine whether I have an issue with my line before I book an engineer visit?

"We need to find your master socket, this is often the first telephone point where the line enters your home. If you’re still unsure of what that looks like, we have a guide here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml When you've found it you need to make sure it’s working properly: * Locate your master telephone socket, and unplug all other equipment from the line (ideally, please try this from the test socket (behind the removable front plate of the master socket) * Now take the corded handset and plug directly into the master socket. * Pick up your handset and see if you’re still having the same problem. If you have done all the above checks and the issue is still evident then we can arrange to send an engineer to you. However, if an engineer visits your premises and the issue is found to be caused by your equipment, internal wiring or as a result of damage to BT equipment a charge of £65 may apply. This is why we advise of the above checks. If you wish to proceed with an engineer appointment we need the following information: * Agreement that if the issue is caused by any of the above that you may receive a £65 charge. * An alternative contact number preferably a mobile * Availability should an engineer need to attend the premises, between the hours of 8am-1pm & 1pm-6pm Monday - Friday."

If Plusnet support staff read this my Plusnet username is [Removed] and the support ticket number is 147034443

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Intermittent crackle on line and broadband speed is down

fyi, intermittent crackling/static is a sign of a faulty telephone line, internal wiring, or equipment. This 'telephone fault' needs to be resolved before Plusnet will look at any 'broadband fault'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VQNJGhUNHM

When you are using the 'Test socket', you can perform a 'Quiet Line Test' by dialling 17070 and choosing option '2'.

Once the original 'telephone fault' is fixed, Plusnet can then investigate any 'broadband fault' if slow speeds persist.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
garyw335
Hooked

I am no longer hearing the crackle / static. It's intermittent, that's the problem. As such I don't see what point there is in testing from the master socket but I have ordered a corded phone from Amazon so I can try in any case.

My broadband speed is still well below what it was before even without the crackle/static. That's the main problem that I'd like plusnet to address.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @garyw335, sorry to hear you've been experiencing some problems with your phone and broadband recently.

I've tested your connection and it's located a potential external problem.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [removed]

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location LN (Local Network)
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y

I'll get this raised with our suppliers for you shortly and raise a ticket on your account to monitor for updates from our suppliers.

While there's currently no results to indicate an engineer would need to visit the property, if this changes moving forward we may ask you to run through some other troubleshooting steps (Although it sounds like you may already be on your way through this) and agreement to a potential charge if a fault is found to be caused by your internal wiring/equipment etc.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet