Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Slow Speeds

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Intermittent Slow Speeds

It's difficult because PN are saying they can't see anything wrong, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem that's out of your control.

Therefore, a stab in the dark (and I know what it's like to have speed issues)

When it's only you, are the speeds decent -

Some of the time (y/n)?

or all of the time (y/n)?

Do your housemates leave any internet enabled devices running when they're out?

When your housemates are home...

Has the speed been high(ish) and then suddenly drops as soon as they jump on the router?

Do some or all do a lot of online gaming or streaming or use P2P etc?

What type of router is it?

Where is the router, near you or in somebody else's room?

Sorry to keep asking questions.

jameshanner
Dabbler

Nono - questions are great! At least someone is responding! Continued thanks!...

When it's only you, are the speeds decent... Some of the time. There's no correlation between number of people in the house / using the service and the speed it runs at. There can be five of us online and the connection speed is 51Mbps. There can be just me online and it drops to 0.8Mbps. 

Do your housemates leave any internet enabled devices running when they're out? No. I can see this from the router's 'connected devices' page. In any case, when I unplug everything and switch off the wifi, if there were a massive torrent box sucking all the bandwidth out, it wouldn't be doing that when it's just me sitting next to the router with an ethernet cable.

Has the speed been high(ish) and then suddenly drops as soon as they jump on the router? No. Speed can be high and drop at 2pm when I'm the only person in the house. Speed can be low at 6pm and increase to maximum for 15 minutes (as it did tonight) when people may have come in from work. No correlation between number of people using it and the speed it runs at.

Do some or all do a lot of online gaming or streaming or use P2P etc? There's one Xbox and a couple of set-top boxes in the house. I'd expect bandwidth sharing to be a problem during the evening when all of these are in use. But if the service is running at 51Mbps (best speed) this never affects the speed as reported via Ookla.

What type of router is it? A new PlusNet Hub One, supplied in November 2016.

Where is the router, near you or in somebody else's room? The router's in a room at the front of the building where the BT cable comes in and the socket is. Wifi is switched off and I have an ethernet cable to my room. Another ethernet cable runs to my old PlusNet ADSL router which I've configured as a wireless AP. 

But again, there's no correlation at all between time of day, number of people in the house, or anything else and the speed I get. I've run tests with everything switched off and unplugged. The only thing conneced to the router at this point (via an ethernet cable) is my laptop. And it still runs at 1-3Mbps

And... when we had the same setup on ADSL, same BT master socket, with the original ADSL router, connection speeds were never a problem. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

At least someone is responding! Smiley but I know what you mean!! Knuppel

no correlation - it does sound like it's not down to what's being done at your end

router's 'connected devices' page - ah-ha the fantabulous Hub One (using the same) Huh can tell lies Shocked

unplug everything - including the slave router?

drop at 2pm - is that just a rough time or it actually drops around that time each day?

at 6pm - <coughs> congestion....

and increase to maximum for 15 minutes - <sighs> maybe not congestion or possibly everyone leaving the office...?

one Xbox and a couple of set-top boxes - can't see these caning the heck out of the speed....?

reported via Ookla - fttb stick with the BT one until this problem starts moving (in the right direction)

Wifi is switched off - that's kinda interesting, as in everything (bar 1 Ethernet cable) is piped through one port Undecided

runs to my old PlusNet ADSL router - if poss', try with this disconnected from the H1(it'll rule out a theory I have)

run tests with everything switched off and unplugged - you may have answered before, but did you test directly at H1?

connection speeds were never a problem - well, the master socket stays the same, the line stays the same etc but you do get moved onto fibre in the cabinet - could be oversubscribed - WE won't know this but .....

Process of elimination atm, try another microfilter and if you can find one, another lead from the master socket to the H1

edit. see what you get here and here (the last link lets you see any of your recent exchange outages)