cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Fibre Internet Dropout

Jandy

Intermittent Fibre Internet Dropout

Having increasingly experienced problems working from home over the last few months, with the modem connection failing whilst using a VPN, appears to bear resemblance to many other posts here but with no clear solution or correlation to what is going on.

I'm sat in front of the router so I can usually see the moment the line drops and goes to flashing amber.  Often it reconnects itself within minutes but most recently it sits at solid amber, and often only reconnects when the modem (Hub one) is reset (switched off and on).

I've followed the usual malarky - checking the modem plugged directly into the master socket which makes no difference, unplugging other devices (it appears to stay online fine when there's nothing attached to the internet and the modem is doing little else than blocking unwanted inbound traffic ;).

The line is otherwise very good - easily see 70mbs d/l when in operation.  I did try other line filters - and although we only have one phone attached to the line, we have recently unplugged this entirely and the problem still returns.  I don't believe the dropouts have anything to do with the line, and Plusnet have confirmed there are no line issues showing.

My instinct after monitoring this situation for weeks is that the modem itself is failing and drops the line when it is dealing with vpn traffic.  I know that VPNs can cause problems with some modems due to increased traffic, but I'm not clear why this should cause the modem to drop the connection to the ISP entirely (some internal software error/stack overflow?).

I'm now transferring every device in the household to a MESH system to free up the Plusnet modem, switching off all internal wifi and removing all other hardwired connections from the Hub one, in the hope this limits the issue and restores reliability.

The next step would be purchasing a different modem just to handle the ADSL connection alone.  Be useful to know of regular VPN users on plusnet, what modems appear the most reliable.

2 REPLIES 2
alan777
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Intermittent Fibre Internet Dropout

I'm having the same problem, my connection has started to disconnect and reconnect itself constantly ever since this morning. Can't even play online games in peace without it doing this, ruinned my weekend!

Never had this problem with Virgin Media.

Jandy

Re: Intermittent Fibre Internet Dropout

What baffles me is that Plusnet don't ask for details about the home set up when trouble-shooting issues.  So far (touch wood) I've had no further drops after turning off Wifi on the Hub One entirely and using a DECO MESH system to handle all the wifi and wired devices (network switch attached to the DECO). 

I also had Alexa/smart devices on wifi as well as VPN traffic (working from home).  A lot has changed since these modems were designed and Smart devices are now the norm.. so its not uncommon for there to be 20+ devices all attached at any one time.

It's reasonable to expect the hub one modem/router can't do everything. A review of my dropped connections over a week demonstrated that they all happened through hours of peak use - no drops from 12-9 am which I find too coincidental to ignore. 

I'm happy so long as the modem has a rock-solid BB connection.  The DECO handles wifi much better (specified up to 100 devices) with no dead-spots or expanders/repeaters needed anywhere.