Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Connection Drops - Fault Raised

nimdy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Intermittent Connection Drops - Fault Raised

I seem to get high packet loss at random times in the day. When this is happening none of my devices (wireless or wired) can make connections to websites or streaming services. The connection usually comes back after 30 mins or so or after a router restart. I have filled out the fault questions and had a response back that an engineer needs to be called out, but if they don't find anything I will be charged £65. Is this normal now? I wasn't charged when I raised a fault shortly after my line was installed.

If the line was completely dead I would be happy for an engineer to visit, but as it is an intermittent problem, I don't want to risk an engineer visiting, not seeing the problem then charging me. The wording also seems to suggest the £65 is per call out, so if they needed to visit a second time I would be charged again? The ticket number is 155254435 if any staff want to look at it.

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Intermittent Connection Drops - Fault Raised

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems

If you've done the usual internal checks here and here they're designed to limit the possibility of the engineer fee.

It looks like things have stabilised over the past 3 days...

Are you still having problems now?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nimdy
Rising Star

It seems to have settled down now. Would you be able to run another one of those graphs to see how the last couple of days have gone?

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sure thing, though I'm no longer finding your account through the usual means.

Mind PMing me your username?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nimdy
Rising Star

Just messaged you. Interestingly I I had a few drops in the last hour, which seems to happen when its raining. Could the little brown box on the wall where the wire comes down from the telegraph pole be getting wet and dropping the connection?

nimdy
Rising Star

@Gandalf or anyone else able to check this for me?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Potentially although a engineer would need to go out to confirm.

Interestingly our tests are now showing a external issue so we'll get that raised.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nimdy
Rising Star

@MatthewWheeler What exactly is your system telling you? Are you able to share? As I said before, I wouldn't want to agree to an engineer visit if it is likely you'll charge me for it. Thanks.

notmyname
Rising Star

If its a little square brown box, these are no longer standard, and are prone to water ingress.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mF27eqHJklZ8qOEMSM9Zbgg.jpg

Does it look like the above?

You mention the drops happen more frequently when it rains, so could tie into this.
nimdy
Rising Star

@notmyname Thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I've got on the front of the house. The telegraph line runs from the pole to the roof, then down to this brown box between the two floors, then across and down to the point it enters my house at floor level in the living room. I'd add that it doesn't look like the front of this box is on tightly. If these are non-standard, would an engineer visit to swap this out for whatever is current and waterproof?

notmyname
Rising Star

In my opinion, any engineer worth their salt would replace it.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@nimdy wrote:

What exactly is your system telling you? Are you able to share? As I said before, I wouldn't want to agree to an engineer visit if it is likely you'll charge me for it. Thanks.

Our tests are showing this:

Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report

We'll provide an update via the ticket on your account once we have more info.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
nimdy
Rising Star

@Gandalf Do you have an update yet?

nimdy
Rising Star

I had response to my ticket saying the problem has gone, but I don't believe it has. I am still getting frequent disconnections. Please can someone run the tests again.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

Line tests aren't indicating an obvious issue but I've just added an update to the fault ticket letting know what we can do as the next step.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team