cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband problems

ROBICKS15

Intermittent Broadband problems

I have several laptops, several phones and smart devices in the household. I am using a new Plusnet Hub One router and over the last few weeks i've been having intermittent problems with the internet. The wireless connection on all devices always remains. So it never drops wireless, nor does it say anything like - 'connected but no internet'. 

Instead, what happens is that if i go to a new tab, and search for something it will frequently pause, wait and spin round almost like it has a very slow internet speed. On my laptop it will say 'resolving host' in the bottom left, and frequently the infamous page will pop up that says; 'The site can't be reached - www.bbc.co.uk (or whatever site) server IP address could not be found. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG. This is what happens on a windows laptop when using Chrome. On an iphone it will say 'Safari cannot open the page because it could not establish a secure connection to the server'.

Now most of the time, if I go to refresh those pages, it will eventually work. I don't type the address in again, simply refresh and it will load. 
Weirdly the other time it seems to work is if my laptop is trying to load the page, and it has 'resolving host' in the corner i open up my phone and run a speed test. As soon as i run the speed test on my phone the laptop browser page loads up. 
My speeds incidentally are always around the 30+mbps. 

I never go for long periods without being able to connect, but it is happening more and more frequently and becoming more and more annoying. 
Any advice or help would be much appreciated.  

2 REPLIES 2
MikeBz
Rising Star

Re: Intermittent Broadband problems

This is what I have been getting intermittently for the last couple of weeks (you have seen my topic on this).  Yesterday I changed my laptop's IP configuration to use one of Google's DNS servers (8.8.4.4) and didn't see the problem again all day.  Today I changed it back to using the router (192.168.1.254) which uses Plusnet's DNS servers, and had the issue again just now (exactly as you describe it with DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG) - after a couple of seconds it reloaded the web page correctly.

GazC

Re: Intermittent Broadband problems

Morning all - I've been having exactly the same problems during lockdown.

Is there a recommended fix for this from Plusnet?  I'm not sure I fully understand the way to get around this (device by device to change dns server selection I presume), that is absent a fix from Plusnet (or admission that something is wrong by them)?

I'm on a Hub One.

Thanks

Gareth