cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittantly not being able to connect to the internet

BereniceH
Dabbler

Intermittantly not being able to connect to the internet

I wonder if anyone can help. I've raised this issue with PN several times over the last year, and thusfar they haven't been able to resolve my issues Sad

My connection can be fine for weeks or even months, and then I start having problems again. I don't loose synch but my connection to the internet on every device (laptops, desktop on wired connection, central heating gateway, CCTV, Amazon Echo etc) fails. I can refresh a webpage 10 times, and it MIGHT load (or partially load) once.

Everything has been changed. I've had 2 new routers, bypassed the faceplate and gone into the master socket, changed microfilters, disconnected all phones etc etc etc and nothing has made any long term difference.

PlusNet have run line checks which show no problems and referred it to Openreach at least twice but they say they are unable to find a problem. When it's working normally, my connection is totally stable, no disconnects and exemplary ping and speeds.

My latest episode started on Sunday morning. I raised a fault and was told it was going to be referred to the back room, but thusfar I've not had an update to my ticket, I have had no useable connection for 3 days now and I'm starting to get a bit tetchy!

The only other thing that I can think of that might be relevant is that we're on static IP

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Intermittantly not being able to connect to the internet

Hi there, 

I've just sent an update on the ticket. 

Can you try connecting to the router over a cabled connection and see if the same issue happens?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BereniceH
Dabbler

(laptops, desktop on wired connection, central heating gateway, CCTV, Amazon Echo etc) fails.

this bit Adam!!

I have currently swapped back to router#1 and all is working perfectly, but that of course could be coincidence. I am just about to go back to router#2 to see what happens!

BereniceH
Dabbler

and of course router#2 is now working perfectly as well .... but for how long is the question!!!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That sounds really promising. 

Let us know how things are on your side after a few days and I'll see what your connection logs look like. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BereniceH
Dabbler

LOL I prefer problems to have an explainable resolution!!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I hear you, we can't always explain the exact reason for such a problem in retrospect but the good news is that your connection is still stable. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BereniceH
Dabbler

agreed... I'll close the ticket...... until the next time!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks a lot, do shout up if you have any more issues.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BereniceH
Dabbler

And back down the snake.......

no connectivity this morning again - I suddenly realised it seems to happen (at least the last 3 times) overnight sat into Sunday.

blue light still showing synch

swap to modem #2 and problem fixed

swap to modem #1 problem reapoears

swap back to #2 and it's ok at the moment.

i don't think this is a modem issue here bearing in mind I'm now on the 3rd one. I suspect it's actually something to do with which modem rack at plusnet I end up connected to. The details (i.e. User name) on both are identical.

of course historically my first action was to reset and then reboot the router!

please can this go to the back room as I was promised last week? 

BereniceH
Dabbler

............ now this is weird....

I've just noticed that one of my wifi CCTV cameras was still connected (and recording) when nothing else was able to connect.

BereniceH
Dabbler

now back on #1 and connection good

what IS going on?

BereniceH
Dabbler

today's variation... I can't access the NatWest portal! I've tried 3 PCs and an iPad. Edge, Chrome, Safari and IE

When I connect via my phone hotspot it works perfectly.

BereniceH
Dabbler

This problem is still ongoing with 2 periods of 5 days each where no connection in or out is possible. After 20 years as a customer of PlusNet/Force 9 I am frankly dismayed at the level of customer service. I get asked the same questions over and over again.....can NOBODY be bothered to read the tickets?

I have been offline since last Sunday (again, it was a Sunday, as it is 90% of the time when it starts)

Traceroutes on LAN show quite clearly that I am getting past the router and then the connection stalls. I am unable to connect to my CCTV, my heating, any of my smart devices (with the exception of 1 Smartfrog camera) or my router externally.I never loose synch, nor do PlusNet see any disconnections.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?Please Please Please!!!

I am on my 3rd modem, all cables/filters have been changed at least twice, I've used the master socket....sometimes rebooting the router will clear it, sometimes not. It makes no difference if I disable the wifi. 

BereniceH
Dabbler

The have now changed my fixed IP to a new one..... fingers crossed