Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving turned off by engineer

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Interleaving turned off by engineer

BT Engineer just got my interleaving turned off...

You really do NOT want to see what my TBB graph looks like now.. and my speed test results are all over the place...

BTW speedtest shows

broken.png

How do I get it turned back on ASAP?

Unless its just gateway psb-bng04. being worse than useless

9 REPLIES 9
SteveA
Pro

Re: Interleaving turned off by engineer

Looks like psb-bng04 is not feeling well.

Disconnected and did the BTW T3 test (which failed at the end).

Reconnected to psb-bng01 and its looking back to normal(ish):

6b81fd818626a91d2b8fd56fc9461d8e-28-01-2017

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Just out of curiosity, doesn't DLM determine whether interleaving is on or off, and if on, the depth?

So if someone turned off your interleaving, does this mean it overrides DLM?

A while back I had power line adapters that injected noise on the line and my downstream interleaving went up to around 1000. After I removed them, the interleaving has remained at 8.

If someone overrides DLM, is there a danger that your connection may become more unstable?

SteveA
Pro

I have no idea - BT noticed it was turned on and turned it off during all their testing (engineer was here for over an hour),and they also seem to have bumped my speed range up at the same time. (was 23.68 Mbps - 33.84 before)

Not seeing any packet loss (which you can see at the 4pm to 10pm slice yesterday) and since I got off what is obviously a problematical gateway at PN things are looking a lot better.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I wonder if the engineer did a DLM reset rather than turning interleaving off specifically. In that case, you go on an open profile for a few days, and then after that DLM intervenes if necessary. In that case, I would imagine that interleaving would go back on assuming the underlying cause of it being there in the first place is still present.

If, on the other hand, the engineer did actually turn off interleaving specifically (I didn't think that was possible on FTTC lines, but I may be wrong), then that would be overriding DLM. Whether that will work out remains to be seen since DLM adds on interleaving based on analysis of your line (and presumably only adds it if it needs it).

I know that a lot of people disagree with how DLM interventions are made, and especially with how long it takes to recover when faults are cleared. I am not sure how well published the DLM algorithms are, so there could be a debate on whether DLM is always making the right decisions.

Having said all that, the danger of overriding DLM is that you could experience instability issues.

SteveA
Pro

possibly it was a reset - he was on the phone to someone for about 10 minutes getting it all sorted out.

Also as time goes on it really does look like the first PN Gateway I was on is not well at all

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I'd assume openreach set Dlm to be cautious / more stable and most customers want speed quicker, so trade off of openreach not wanting faults and customers wanting the max out of their line! Fine line but think dlm will always play it cautious.

Was it you that had to probs too? If so is that working ok too?
SteveA
Pro

I was having TBB problems and the 4pm to 10pm packet loss.

Packet loss seems to have gone totally (well none today but....) and min latency has decreased, and download speed has increased now I'm off that flaky gateway

SteveA
Pro

bounced back onto psb-bng04 and its a crock again.. :

SteveA
Pro

Arrggg:

The big spike yesterday was we accidentally swamping my router!;

Then i ended up on psb-bng04 which doesn't really seem to get on with my line - which is that blast of high latency after the packet loss

So I bounced and got onto psb-bng03 which seems to be OK

I have no idea what caused the loss this morning

20b2cf9087e97880259aa94fa038b321-30-01-2017