cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrated modem and router

fishyweb
Community Veteran

Integrated modem and router

Hi. I currently have Plusnet ADSL with their supplied router, and it works just fine.
I am now thinking of upgrading to PN's fibre broadband, but do NOT want to have the separate Openreach modem and thus I won't be able to use PN's supplied router. After doing a bit of reading, I'm leaning towards getting a TP-LINK TD-W9980. If I understand correctly, this will be compatible with my existing ADSL, but will also work when I upgrade to fibre without needing the pesky Openreach box.
Is this all correct?
Also, when I go to fibre, will I still need to have my master socket updated as I would if I were having the Openreach modem fitted? Or can I use my existing socket with a microfilter?
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Integrated modem and router

Self install still isn't an option so a BT Engineer will attend and change the faceplate
Re the router - it will work but have you read http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html and the linked discussion threads
b1ggles
Grafter

For most people a separate modern is the better solution as if you are using a WiFi router it allows you to position it for better coverage than wedged against an outside wall.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've been using a TD-9980 for a while now, very stable and no complaints about it from me.
NedLudd
Grafter

A sub £65 Billion 8800NL works well for me with about a dozen wifi connections plus umpteen Ethernet ones!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
fishyweb
Community Veteran

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep em coming.
Btw my master socket is in a good position for wireless coverage, so no need to have my router any distance away. So integrated solution should be fine from that point of view.
launton
Grafter

Home Hub 5 Version B works well as an all in one. 
TheLyppardMan

I'm using a DrayTek 2760 modem router (the non-Wi-Fi version) and devolo 1200+ ac powerline adapters. I have one positioned at the rear of the house on the ground floor and one on the 1st floor at the front of the house. I like this because it sets me free from worrying about a router's Wi-Fi capabilities and it's flexible since I can position the units where I need them
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I have a Asus DSL ac68u ,although its in the higher price range it has cured the problems i was having ,and wifi is excellent all over the house  Cool
Fantastic single box option   
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .