cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation imponderables

gmqa
Dabbler

Installation imponderables

I read your Plusnet Fibre article with interest, but was too uncertain of what's involved to sign up.
My present router has four Ethernet outlets, and although your replacement would probably have at last that number, it would be reassuring to know beforehand.
From the article, I gather that the new setup would apparently comprise:
master socket > data extension cable if necessary > Modem + a/c > included Ethernet cable > wireless router of unknown specification + a/c.
My master socket is about 1.4m distance from the router socket but in the next room, connected by a cable of about 3m that I ran through the bungalow's loft.
I need to know whether the data cable would need to be replaced, and if so, what type of cable would be required, and if I could see for myself whether it is possible to run a cable between the two outlets in a reasonable amount of time without using the present cable as a draw string. My being able to fit the new terminal box and faceplate at the same time would be helpful.
The actual making of connections to the outlets would of course be left to the engineer.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Installation imponderables

The Plusnet supplied router has 3 effective ethernet outlets as the fourth is used as the input from the BT Modem
Regarding your cable - depends on the quality. If it is cat5e that would be fine but has it got the right connections as the engineer wouldn't change those
Why not sit the modem next to the master socket and use the data cable to connect the modem to the router
Are you sure about the 3 metres as going from a master socket up to the loft across and back down again would be about 5 to 6 metres
gmqa
Dabbler

I'm new to the forum, acted in haste, and only read the post too late to emend 3m to roughly 8m.
I use all four outlets currently, and need to think about adding another link box.
I'll need to look at the cable that I used: I researched what was necessary years ago before I installed it.
From my notes, I think this a quotation from the Plusnet article: "2. Your router needs to be connected to the BT Openreach modem with the included Ethernet cable."
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

the included ethernet cable is only about a metre long
If you are going to use the existing cable to get from the modem to the router then that wouldn't be a problem but if you intend to have the modem in the next room then you need to investigate thoroughly
gmqa
Dabbler

Thank you Oldjim for your useful information and suggestions. My present router is 8cm from a short Ethernet cable emerging from the plasterboard 138cm above the floor. This provides connections to a TV set and three ancillary pieces of equipment in the next room.
I am told, ““Your router needs to be connected to the BT Openreach modem with the included Ethernet cable.” That is obviously not to be taken literally. Cable category and type of shielding could be important, but optimum length would depend on the distance between modem and router.
I am reviewing the whole subject, have started to look into the changing policy concerning Openreach Customer Premises Equipment Enablement, and ISPReview's statement that most of the biggest ISPs “have already swapped to the PCP-Only (Self-Installation) method, which means they supply their own VDSL modems or routers with an integrated VDSL modem and no Openreach engineer needs to enter your home.”
I have not as yet been able to find any details about the equipment provided by Plusnet as regards either specification or appearance.
Estragon
Rising Star

Plusnet still use engineer installs. An Openreach modem is supplied by the engineer.
The Plusnet router is the 2704n on this page, and is a badged Sagemcom 2704n with Plusnet-specific firmware.
If you can stand having three boxes instead of the one you have now, it is fairly easy to set up OR modem >> Plusnet router >> your router. That would give you five available Ethernet ports, though you may choose later to use one of those for a second connection to the OR modem if it is an HG612 not the alternative ECI one.
The second connection to an HG612, which you would need to flash with an unlocked version of the firmware to use, allows you to see the full line stats that you may be used to. Both OR modems are completely locked down as standard. Unlocking the HG612 is a doddle. The ECI nigh on impossible for most of us.
gmqa
Dabbler

Hi, Estragon. I saw you many moons ago, at the Criterion Theatre, I think. Thank you for the useful link, which I've already discovered has several links for me to follow later today, and thanks also for the extra info, which reduces a little my ignorance about the subject.
My experience of BT engineers is limited to a single visit when a couple of wires behind the faceplate in my hall were unscrewed, trimmed a little perhaps, and screwed up again, before the fault with the line was discovered to be in a junction box under the public footpath. I received a bill for £50, but did not have to pay it when I told BT that the fault had been with their equipment.
Estragon
Rising Star

I assume Valimir, Pozzo and Lucky were around as well?