cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install time

Blankers

Install time

I ordered broadband on 17/12/2014 and it's not being installed till 14/1/2015. Is this normal ? It seems like a long time considering the phone line was already there. They activated the phone the next day. Why does the broadband take so long ?
On their web site it says broadband can be installed in a week.....
21 REPLIES 21
Boodz85
Grafter

Re: Install time

probably something to do with xmas and new year and the fact you have to wait for an available slot for the engineer to fit you in.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

With a fibre installation we're very dependent on engineer availability in your area. Just to confirm though, the engineer is booked in for the afternoon of the 13th.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Blankers

Even allowing for Xmas and new year, it's an awful lot longer than 1 week !!!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

ADSL broadband (not fibre) is a 5 working day order, so that generally completes within the week mentioned. Fibre *can* be that fast, but it's not directly in our hands.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
daskinner
Grafter

I think BT prioritise there customers over the competition. I ordered fibre before Christmas as was told the 8th Jan.
I told 2 family members (both live my my villiage, 1 lives on my road, the other 3 streets away)  during Christmas and new year that we could have fibre both are with BT, they called BT and are getting it installed today.
taras
Grafter

It very much depends on the uptake of fibre in your area as well, Also fttc/p can alter things too
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: daskinner
I think BT prioritise there customers over the competition. I ordered fibre before Christmas as was told the 8th Jan.
I told 2 family members (both live my my villiage, 1 lives on my road, the other 3 streets away)  during Christmas and new year that we could have fibre both are with BT, they called BT and are getting it installed today.

BT don't require a home visit, whereas plusnet does.
however, if they called BT today (which is what your post suggests) then they are NOT getting it installed today. the BT router would still have to be posted out to them.
daskinner
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
Quote from: daskinner

BT don't require a home visit, whereas plusnet does.
however, if they called BT today (which is what your post suggests) then they are NOT getting it installed today. the BT router would still have to be posted out to them.

Nope! they called between christmas and new year and the BT engineer was due to do the install this morning.
chenks76
All Star

as i said, BT don't require and engineer to visit the home as there's is a self-install product.
plusnet is not a self-install product, and as such required and engineer to visit the home.
ofcom rules state that Openreach cannot give priority to any ISP be that BT or anyone else.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

But BT still requires an engineer to connect at the cabinet, this would normally be the same engineer that would visit the home for a full engineer install.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chenks76
All Star

not necessarily.
they might have had an engineer already working in the area doing exchange/cab work.
they might have had appointment cancellations
they might have had people booked off on holiday but then changed plans that meant more engineers were available.
many numerous reasons.
but, of course, everyone always jumps to the conspiracy reason and that it might be nasty old BT sitting in darkened rooms plotting to annoy you.
daskinner
Grafter

as i said, BT don't require and engineer to visit the home as there's is a self-install product.
plusnet is not a self-install product, and as such required and engineer to visit the home.
ofcom rules state that Openreach cannot give priority to any ISP be that BT or anyone else.

Hmm thats very odd as the engineer was IN his house for around 30 mins..
chenks76
All Star

what was in the house for?
drinking tea and eating biscuits?
daskinner
Grafter

what was in the house for?
drinking tea and eating biscuits?