cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

I now remember that design Smiley

(I didn't think to look on Kitz for it)

Mine was slightly different, as in it would fit in a 2" square weatherproof box, that an engineer could plug a test lead into it on a make before break basis - the cabinet wouldn't see a drop in the connection. It was eyeballed then mothballed. It would have worked and would have saved the home owner from having to be there during a 'visit'.

The downside was the internal side (master socket and router) could not be tested.

Maybe one day.....?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

Hi @DS, thanks for pointing out you already attached the trace routes. I can confirm after looking that your trace route tests look fine and when checking over your connection everything is looking spot on to the router. Can I ask then, are there any performance issues you've noticed your side when using the connection which lead you to believe there could be a underlying issues?

DS
Seasoned Champion

The previous tracerts (in the wobbles.txt attachmentLips_are_sealed) took place between 2230 and 0230 (this am).

Nothing changed here, but it has gone back to where they should be

tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.27]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms bthub [192.168.1.254]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 137.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.137]
4 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms 136.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.136]
5 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms core1-BE1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.125.130]
6 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms peer7-et-0-0-2.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [62.172.103.160]
7 12 ms 9 ms 10 ms 109.159.253.15
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 9 ms 10 ms 9 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
11 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 132.185.255.148
12 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms bbc-vip146.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.27]

(but will keep 'em peeled)

DS
Seasoned Champion

Sorry @BD , I actually didn't notice your reply above!! Embarrassed Crazy3

(I'd hit reply to a post on the previous page)

Can I ask then, are there any performance issues you've noticed your side when using the connection which lead you to believe there could be a underlying issues?

I was finding the forum pages a little slow to load (I was reading through some random threads). It was then when I started doing the tracerts (so the slowness started around 2230 and lasted till after I posted (thus 0249).

The forum pages do seem to be loading fine atm Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion

If anyone is still interested....?

Data rate: 6.21 Mbps / 37.49 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37261
Noise margin: 5.6 dB / 2.7 dB

Network uptime: 26 Days, 14 Hours 49 Minutes
System uptime: 26 Days, 15 Hours 27 Minutes

At 01:55
Download speed achieved during the test was - 33.44 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-34.49 Mbps .
Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 34.49 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.02Mbps
Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

So the router reporting a max of 6.21Mbps on the u/s and the 37.49Mbps on the d/s are consistent.

It's clocked up an impressive 26 days without dropping (though did notice something unrelated to this on the H6)

The BTw profile remains 3Mbps below that of the router

The BTw u/s speed is around 1.09-1.19Mbps lower than the router

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

If anyone is still interested....?

It's clocked up an impressive 26 days without dropping (though did notice something unrelated to this on the H6)

Got a little overexcited myself the other day as mine managed a whole 5 days without dropping.

Unfortunately it was too good to be true It dropped twice on Monday. Once in the early hours and again in the morning. Again today in the early hours once more.

My other half was very fortunate he didn't wake up to a bricked iPhone as he forgot and allowed the overnight WiFi update to happen only de night before it dropped.

Oh well... lets see what happens next.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Sorry to hear that Sad

Are Plusnet aware of the drops?

I was in the same position myself. It was only after the removal of the 'blue beans' that my connection has been working fine*

Your gonna hate this but:

Network uptime: 29 Days, 9 Hours 50 Minutes
System uptime: 29 Days, 10 Hours 27 Minutes

*this is via my H6, though I may see if the H1 can match this - I'd only get a few days give or take with the latter. I used to blame the modem, though due to other users clocking up good connection times, I then doubted my own thoughts on the modem. Time will tell I guess;)

On a more serious note. Our then 2 week old smart TV was updating when our connection dropped. I had to speak to the manufacturers to obtain the updated firmware via USB, which did the trick. But that was connected to the router via ethernet not wifi at the time. The connection kept dropping and the TV died again, this time they took it back for repairs as it wouldn't work off the USB. Long story short but the brand new TV was written off and they had to replace it - surprising what can happen when the connection drops!!. We then disconnected the ethernet when we didn't need to use it and that TV was fine. Since moving to the H6 and with the connection now seeming to be good, we've left it connected all of the time.

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

Yep, PlusNet are aware. I’m in the same boat as you, released from contact as Openreach won’t do anything. Just waiting to see if it ever stabilises, but it’s highly unlikely.
DS
Seasoned Champion

We really thought we'd be gone by now if I'm honest.

(but is the H6 hiding the issue....?)

We had 5 or 6 (can't recall) Openreach visits since February this year alone.

I did ask all of them, plus previous engineers since 2008 to check behind the capping on the pole. It was only the last one who reluctantly checked and found the cable wasn't actually in one piece. I'm grateful he did! Now rightly or wrongly, the customer is always right and this all* could have been avoided if they'd listened to me back then

*2008 - 2014 (ish) with BT, nothing but dropping connections. They released me foc.

2014  - late 2016 (IIRC) with Sky, only 2 SNR resets and a fairly reliable connection. We left after 2 years as they became $ky (asking way too much for what they offer)

late 2016 (or maybe early 2017) - present day with Plusnet, erm, well it's all on these forums. This included 4 H1's in total, though I have two of them atm. This is the longest uptime since being with them.

Now the confirmed 'cable fill' isn't going to fix itself and Openreach probably won't replace this as some users of the phone line don't have the internet and most of the others are not on the BT network either Sad

I guess the only reason they retained us was by me getting the H6. I'm keen to see if one of the H1's would maintain a connection now since the work was done.

For a budget ISP what they offer isn't too bad

(but will they still be a budget ISP in 6-12 months?)

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

I joined PlusNet in Jan 2003 and tbh they’ve always been good for me and reliable.
Unfortunately in December we switched to fibre and that’s where our problems started.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Almost like mine then....

But I had drops with BT on ADSL - stacks of engineers and work done - their solution was for me to pay them more and move to VDSL - which made it worse - parted company - Sky (back down to ADSL - as mentioned 2 small issues - came to Plusnet but back to VDSL (had to for the PNYVTV) - anything good and bad is all on these forums.

I'd prefer to stay and hoping I don't curse myself, but it is looking far better in the last (almost there!) month.

I've not gone back to check but guess your ADSL speeds are low, hence diving into VDSL?

(29 days and 22 hours uptime for those following)

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

“I've not gone back to check but guess your ADSL speeds are low, hence diving into VDSL?”

They’re not too bad really. Think they were around 8 down and 1 to 2 up. If I really had to I guess we would roll back. I’d just rather not.

I’ll be keeping an eye on how you get on 🤞🏼
DS
Seasoned Champion

I only went back to ADSL with Sky as I thought the drops would have continued, but was surprised the connection was nigh on perfect. It did highlight that being on a LLU connection 'solved' my drop outs.

I totally understand your reasons for wanting VDSL:). My decision was kinda forced on me (as mentioned, we also took their TV which needed a minimum of 15Mbps (IIRC)) and really wouldn't want to go back to the lower speeds. If I had the choice of lower speeds or taking a gamble elsewhere, I would now more than likely take the latter route.

Honestly, good luck. I really hope you connection gets better.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. At 09:45 I mentioned the router had maintained a connection for 29d and 22h. It either dropped the connection or the router resets anyway after 30 days of connection uptime?

The only thing in the event log for the time it dropped was:

11:24:50, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 connectivity to (pbthdm.bt.mo) has been closed
11:24:49, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 connectivity to (pbthdm.bt.mo) has been initiated
11:24:49, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 receiving InformResponse message
11:24:48, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 event found : 4 VALUE CHANGE
11:24:48, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 event found : 2 PERIODIC
11:24:47, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 sending Inform message
11:24:45, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 event found : 4 VALUE CHANGE
11:24:45, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 event found : 2 PERIODIC
11:24:44, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 sending Inform message
11:24:42, 17 May. ppp1:TR69 creating new session with ACS

(which was the events that used to knock this router off when the connection was bad)

I might turn off TR069 and see if that makes it better or worse, then again maybe I won't.

Hoping this is a one off or a BT router thing.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @DS

No disconnections from our side, so potentially a router issue as you've alluded to.

Let us know how you get on with the further testing re: TR69 etc.

Thanks

Dave