cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

I guess so.

But I'm sure the user I read about was using a business one....?

(I can't remember where I read about it)

I do still think mine 'thought' about it, hence the events I posted further up.

I used to have auto set-up (TR069) disabled, but something (or someone) turned it back on. I may try this again as I'd of thought this might also stop the router rebooting.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

@Beyhive wrote:

Hi @DS

I have gone ahead and raised a Tag Query to our suppliers to look into updating the estimates for your line. I have updated the ticket on your account and we will be back in touch with an update in the next 72 working hours.

Feel free to get back in touch for further queries.

I have no idea if the 'query' has done something already but:

On 05 March the checker stated:

05 march.PNG

But today (05 May) the checker states:

05 may.PNG

So apart from the latest impacted low of 18.1, the majority is now showing lower results (some are the same) even though I'm getting faster speeds!Huh

(guess that's BT for yaLips_are_sealed)

DS
Seasoned Champion

It's still connected Azn

Data rate: 6.21 Mbps / 37.49 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37307
Noise margin: 5.5 dB / 2.8 dB

Network uptime: 20 Days, 12 Hours 9 Minutes
System uptime: 20 Days, 12 Hours 47 Minutes

Download Speed (Mbps): 95.52
Upload Speed (Mbps) : 2.25
Ping Latency (ms): 41

(an impossible d/l speed - still on wifi)

DS
Seasoned Champion

I have no idea if the 'query' has done something already but

So apart from the latest impacted low of 18.1, the majority is now showing lower results (some are the same) even though I'm getting faster speeds!

Oh, I've only just read the reply on the ticket, dated the same day I posted about the dsl checker figures 'moving' Sad

<redacted> our suppliers have advised that the speeds which are reflecting on the line will remain the same and they cannot change it from their end <redacted>

(my bold and sorry to have wasted Plusnets time)

I honestly thought, based on the tag query, that they'd update the figures and find it unbelievable that they can't nudge the figures up but they can knock them down. This isn't the first time they've reduced the figures for this line - only posting for those whom may have been interested in how the request went.

Anyone would think that they appear to want to push customers back onto LLU (or VM or mobile data) Crazy2

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

For the past hour I've brought myself up to speed and read your entire thread (I need a coffee now...)

I'm sorry again to see the issues you've had, but I'm glad to see that things seem to have slowly got better.

It's normal for speed estimates to fluctuate and change from time to time, but it was definitively worth a try to raise a TAGs Query. Nothing you need to apologise for, we're happy to help in any way we can.

I'm unsure as to what or who exactly changes these figures and I reckon I'd struggle to find out. In the past on one occasion, the fibre enquiries team at Openreach have been able to arrange this, but that was on the back of moving a line from one cabinet to another and records needed updating to reflect the improved speeds at the closer cabinet.

Hopefully your connection continues to remain stable. Thumbs_Up

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion

I'd of thought you'd have needed more than coffee!!Funny

Thanks for the support, from all of you, you'll see there has been highs:) and lowsCry, we've not have always agreedLips_are_sealed (and the 'stuff' in private on the ticket - might print it off as it would make a nice wallpaper design, plus one print should reach floor to ceiling), but it does look like things are working fine. I'm not sure if the H1 could maintain a connection, but I may just try it at some point.

Also, the H6 router has clocked up a continuous connection uptime of 22 days and over 4 hours - I think this is a record since being on Plusnet.

I guess seeing it fluctuate is 'normal', but it is getting lower and lower (for most of it) - I don't agree with this and if I were to don a deerstalker or indeed a tin foil hat one could assume it was deliberate (not you, them). I'm not saying I'm jumping ship but other providers wouldn't have 'fuel for the fire' if I then got my low speed back or lower. Anyhoo, let's leave it there as i really don't to waste anyones time or risk it being nudged lower still.

I'm hovering over the fixed button and will do so when (or if) it gets to 31 days without dropping.

(plus from time to time I'll keep an eye on the dsl checker results)

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

@DS just be aware I was also fixed... for a whole 40 days, then something happened to knock me back to square one!

Openreach won't/can't sort my problem now either, so currently waiting to see if things ever level out and stop dropping. Hoping for the best, but ready for the worst, which will most likely mean ditching fibre to go back to ADSL unfortunately.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @DS

It's always our pleasure to help. I am glad to see a stable and continues connection and long may it continue (don't want to jinx it) Cheesy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

@Prawnyloks wrote:

@DS just be aware I was also fixed... for a whole 40 days, then something happened to knock me back to square one!

Openreach won't/can't sort my problem now either, so currently waiting to see if things ever level out and stop dropping. Hoping for the best, but ready for the worst, which will most likely mean ditching fibre to go back to ADSL unfortunately.

I'm not holding my breath.

And yep been there myself regarding what a certain infrastructure maintainer can and can't do or will and won't do. You've got to keep pushing. I have it in writing that I can leave penalty free, and really hoping the connection is finally fixed. If you'd only used a hub one (yes I read most threads, even if I don't reply) then I'd have blamed that, but yours is similar to mine - my hub 6 would also drop, but atm after the last Hope n Pray engineer it aint been bad at all.

(thanks for replying too;))

edit. Not ignoring Faris' reply either, but know who is likely to be the one who jinxed it should it dropGrin

Prawnyloks
Rising Star

I'm not holding my breath.

And yep been there myself regarding what a certain infrastructure maintainer can and can't do or will and won't do. You've got to keep pushing. I have it in writing that I can leave penalty free, and really hoping the connection is finally fixed. If you'd only used a hub one (yes I read most threads, even if I don't reply) then I'd have blamed that, but yours is similar to mine - my hub 6 would also drop, but atm after the last Hope n Pray engineer it aint been bad at all.

(thanks for replying tooWink)

If I had limitless holidays to take off work, and a bucket load of spare time to wait in for engineers, I would probably push it MUCH further. Unfortunately, that's not the case Roll_eyes

I am also able to leave penalty free too though, just hoping it doesn't come to that. Playing the waiting game for now. Will see what happens over the next month.

Good luck with yours. I'll keep everything crossed for you!

DS
Seasoned Champion

If I had limitless holidays to take off work, and a bucket load of spare time to wait in for engineers, I would probably push it MUCH further. Unfortunately, that's not the case

I totally understand that! I did put the idea to BT many moons (or moans) ago about having the facility for an Openreach 'Test point' to be on the external wall of our properties. This would allow them to attend without the owner being home. That idea went in and straight through - but the mobile data for BB connection issues was one of mine (back in 2009 IIRC) as was additional wifi repeaters (from BT) too. 10 years later and both were offered by BT - still aint seen any royalties though!

I am also able to leave penalty free too though, just hoping it doesn't come to that. Playing the waiting game for now. Will see what happens over the next month.

Glad to hear you too have a means to escape this jail

Good luck with yours. I'll keep everything crossed for you!

Back at ya!! Smiley

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, so I've been having some wobbles.

The router could actually be hiding the connection trying to drop based on the 'value change'

And wired tracerts that have been pretty good are becoming a little erratic

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @DS, I'm sorry to hear that. The connection looks to have now been stable for 23 days, can you send us over a screenshot of the trace routes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Have another shot of coffee - they're attached to the post above Wink

(as a text file to keep it simple)

Since the data centre fix my latency is was <18ms on any of the hops, it's not jumped by 000's, but some have been higher than I'd expect.

On a lighter note: Network uptime: 24 Days, 0 Hours 16 Minutes

edit. typo

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@DS wrote:

I totally understand that! I did put the idea to BT many moons (or moans) ago about having the facility for an Openreach 'Test point' to be on the external wall of our properties. This would allow them to attend without the owner being home.

There was a period when BT did this back in 2008.  SEE HERE  I recall seeing a number of forum posts about some 'unforeseen' issues and a phased withdrawal in about 2012.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.