Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

I'm somewhat surprised they'd leave it exposed like that, but hopefully it sorts the issue.

Let us know how you get on and we'll get it re-raised if the problem returns.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

Ah, just to point something out

Upon removing the plastic cable protector, that went from just below the ground surface to about 3 metres above ground level, it exposed a rubber sleeve around 2 feet off the ground. Above and below the rubber sleeve were 2 grommets, which in turn were taped with insulation tape. The tape was well passed it's sticky-enough-ticity state and thus the blue beans were not really being protected from water ingress or damp or frost or heat (I'm guessing for the last one). The cables/beans were clearly sweating too and upon caressing them your fingers became damp and gooey.

As we know, Openreach stipulate that upon finding the said beans, chucking them on the ground grows a telegraph beanstalk they are to be removed from service as they cannot/should not carry a BB signal. Now I know for sure they've been there since at least 1997, and a neighbour recalls them being there since around 1980.

My moaning reporting, if this pays off, has now corrected 11 other BB connections (and mine) with an additional one not having 'this bl**dy internet thing'. So 13 new connections on a 20 core cable.

On a more positive note, the H6 is showing some pretty impressive results:

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 2 Hours 7 Minutes 37 Seconds
Data rate: 6.21 Mbps / 37.49 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 38130
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 3.1 dB

Just gotta hope it doesn't drop.....

DS
Seasoned Champion

Something somewhere isn't adding up

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 2 Hours 7 Minutes 37 Seconds
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 38130
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 3.1 dB

It then went to this:

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 8 Hours 51 Minutes 22 Seconds
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 36875
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 2.5 dB

Oddly the max downstream rate is lower than the actual rateHuh

(seen this on the PNH1 and thought it was that router, but now I know it isn't router related)

Having checked it recently:

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 14 Hours 17 Minutes 51 Seconds
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37491
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 2.8 dB

It then caught up

However, BTw results show:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 20 Mbps-34.49 Mbps .
Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 34.49 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.12Mbps
Additional Information: Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

So will the BTw one catch up, or can plusnet nudge my max up - would it cause an issue?

If it wouldn't cause an issue, would nudging it to say 40Mbps cause the downstream noise margin to rise above 3dB and stay above it?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @DS 

I've nudged you up on our side just about as far as I can - give it a day or so and let us know if this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks @MasterOfReality Thumbs_Up

Posting for future reference

DSL uptime: 1 Days, 1 Hours 8 Minutes 6 Seconds
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37797
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 3 dB

last test, 11:10 today
Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-34.49 Mbps .

Will see what a day or three does....?

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

When the max attainable is lower than the sync it's usally a sign of interference it can be down to crosstalk, electrical interference, the elements a number of things really.

I have had this myself, my sync had been around 45Mb with the Max attainable being around 43Mb however over the past couple of days my Max Attainable jumped to 53Mb so i quickly rebooted the Hub-One today and now syncing at 52Mb, it's the first time i have been 50Mb+ in over three years, not sure what the actual reason is I'm guessing someone causing a ton of crosstalk no longer has fibre, also my area is having the lamp posts replaced so maybe some electrical interference from that could also have reduced the interference enough although i suspect the crosstalk to be the more likely candidate. 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for replying @Terranova667 Thumbs_Up

When the max attainable is lower than the sync it's usally a sign of interference it can be down to crosstalk, electrical interference, the elements a number of things really.

I'll admit it, I didn't know that. The last OR engineer carried out his own GEA test the other day (after removing the blue beans from all the circuits on the pole) and it came back clear then. The last one from PN (on my ticket) was also clear. But going through the now very long ticket previous PN GEA tests have identified various failures, same as you've mentioned. The CT only came about since the e-side and d-side work was carried out and as that engineer (#3 or 4) said, moving to a new (old) pair is only moving the interference around the same (alli) cable:(

I have had this myself, my sync had been around 45Mb with the Max attainable being around 43Mb however over the past couple of days my Max Attainable jumped to 53Mb so i quickly rebooted the Hub-One today and now syncing at 52Mb, it's the first time i have been 50Mb+ in over three years, not sure what the actual reason is I'm guessing someone causing a ton of crosstalk no longer has fibre, also my area is having the lamp posts replaced so maybe some electrical interference from that could also have reduced the interference enough although i suspect the crosstalk to be the more likely candidate. 

This is the fastest I've ever had mine, being around 30 and 6 (just checked). The BTH6 definitely connects at a faster rate:

DSL uptime: 1 Days, 12 Hours 15 Minutes 4 Seconds
Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37177
Noise margin: 5.8 dB / 2.7 dB

(note it's back to data rate being higher than maximum)

It used to around 18 and 1.8 (max). Hence why, now it's quicker, I asked PN to give it a manual nudge (asked before, but first time they've actually done it). I too have a lamp post near the pole (about 6 metres apart) and this has one of the newer type LED heads fitted to it.

I'm trying to remain positive and hope my BTH6 can clock up more time than the 3 PNH1's I've used thus far. Oddly the 2 last PNH1's would make an odd buzz noise (two quick buzzes and no not the same as the known 5GHz wifi noise) and this H6 doesn't buzz, but every now and then it makes clicking sounds (again 2). The last time I heard it was at 23:11 but the connection hasn't dropped out.

This buzzing and clicking has got to be related.

DS
Seasoned Champion

I missed the fact that my connection had dropped not long after OR left the other day

Downstream sync speed: 37.49 Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 6.21 Mbps
Network uptime: 1 Days, 23 Hours 35 Minutes
System uptime: 2 Days, 0 Hours 12 Minutes

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37724
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 2.9 dB

(and the max is now (again) higher than the actual)

BTw:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 32.32 Mbps

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @DS, as your connection has currently remained stable, I'd advise to continue to monitor it and let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks @LaurenB 

Yep, keeping a eye on it, though not as much as before and tbh not overly fussed about the speed (I prefer stability over speed) but it is a bonus;)

My main focus is to getting some hours/weeks clocked up without a drop.

A slight diversion, my son has commented that gaming has been pretty reliable too - for my sake I hope it continues.

DS
Seasoned Champion

The once in a while monitoring continues, however spotted something with the following:

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 36684
Noise margin: 5.9 dB / 2.5 dB

Network uptime: 2 Days, 11 Hours 6 Minutes
System uptime: 2 Days, 11 Hours 43 Minutes

---

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37303
Noise margin: 5.6 dB / 2.8 dB

Network uptime: 3 Days, 6 Hours 38 Minutes
System uptime: 3 Days, 7 Hours 15 Minutes

---

Maximum data rate:6213 / 36645
Noise margin: 5.5 dB / 2.4 dB

Network uptime: 3 Days, 12 Hours 23 Minutes
System uptime: 3 Days, 13 Hours 1 Minutes

---

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37506
Noise margin: 5.7 dB / 2.9 dB

Network uptime: 4 Days, 0 Hours 50 Minutes
System uptime: 4 Days, 1 Hours 28 Minutes

---

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37284
Noise margin: 5.5 dB / 2.8 dB

Network uptime: 4 Days, 5 Hours 52 Minutes
System uptime: 4 Days, 6 Hours 29 Minutes

---

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 36393
Noise margin: 5.6 dB / 2.3 dB

Network uptime: 4 Days, 10 Hours 2 Minutes
System uptime: 4 Days, 10 Hours 39 Minutes

Not spotted it? Well, no matter where

• the downstream SNR is, the downstream data rate stays at 37.49Mbps
  • the upstream SNR is, the upstream data rate stays at 6.21Mbps
  • the downstream SNR is, the downstream maximum data rate changes
  • the upstream SNR is, the upstream maximum data rate stays at 6213

So why is it only affecting the downstream and not both?Huh

(what would happen it the error protection also monitored the upstream, would this then fluctuate)

DS
Seasoned Champion

A BTw speed test yesterday and one carried out a few moments a go gave the following results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 31.28 Mbps

---

Download speed achieved during the test was - 32.48 Mbps

So, although my upload is 6.21Mbps as shown in the post above, the actual speed is consistent at 5.12Mbps - I expect to see it lower, but is over 1Mbps 'normal'?

The download results also show a massive improvement too when comparing it the then 18Mbps (on a good day), but why is the BTw profile still lower (at 34.49Mbps) then what the router is showing (37.49Mbps), even though Plusnet 'tweaked' it, there's nothing showing this 'tweak' actually did anything? Also to have a 3Mbps loss, again is that to be expected?

Hmm....

(at least it hasn't dropped thus far)

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @DS,

Thank you for getting back in touch.

My understanding is that while interleaving / re-transmission / error correction is applied the maximum data rate will differ from the actual sync rate. This is due to the rearranging and decoding of data causing additional time for data transmission. For more information on the reasons behind sync rates differing from maximum data rate click here. I'm afraid I can't confirm exactly how much speed is expected to be lost when taking into all factors such as overheads, congestion, our connection profile and BT's profile but from what you have explained, I can't see this to be a heavy loss and it should be corrected by DLM as time goes by assuming the line remains stable.

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
DS
Seasoned Champion

Hi Lewis

I got confuddled after

My understanding is that while

Wink

maximum data rate will differ from the actual sync rate

Yep, this was my understanding too

I'm afraid I can't confirm exactly how much speed is expected to be lost when taking into all factors such as overheads, congestion, our connection profile and BT's profile but from what you have explained, I can't see this to be a heavy loss and it should be corrected by DLM as time goes by assuming the line remains stable.

I do recall a percentage floating around either the forums or within your help pages, just couldn't find it. I'm probably wrong but thought it was 97.5% of the maximum speed...?

I'll admit it, I've always been one who considers stability over speed to be of greater importance, but now, after getting double the download, from 18Mbps (or lower) to roughly 38Mbps (not true speed), and a poor 1.8Mbps (or lower) upload to around 6Mbps (not true speed), I'm just trying to see if a floor mat is stuck under the go pedal.

Crikey, could I imagine that one day I may see 40 and 10 via a 57 year old piece of aluminum cable!?!?

(though something that only came to light after Jack OR found some beans, both ends were copper, so there could well be more beans in an underground T that possibly isn't accessible as a previous engineer did mention the manhole joints were alli to alli - so where is the alli to copper?)

Also, on a real positive note, my son has been gaming (via a new PC we built) without issues (after the coincidental connection drop caused the original PC to crash) and my daughter has been netflixing without both of them shouting down, now this is a first and although I've not yet got used to the silence, one only hopes it continues...

(is netflixing a new word?)

DS
Seasoned Champion

Maximum data rate: 6213 / 37242
Noise margin: 5.5 dB / 2.8 dB

Network uptime: 8 Days, 12 Hours 37 Minutes
System uptime: 8 Days, 13 Hours 14 Minutes

8 days without a drop and note the 6.21 and 37.49

(dare I ask, but has it gone quiet on the cross talk etc side of things?)

edit.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 35.12 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.96Mbps