Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

Moving on from my amber power and red broadband saga, my connection is suffering with what is termed 'cable fill'. It basically means there's too much 'going on' in the cable that serves x houses and it is causing the connection to drop. Most of my cable from the cabinet to my house is aluminium too. Surely I can't be the only one having drops in the connection?

Without going into the nitty-gritty , I am now able to leave Plusnet - don't all cheer at once and yes I'll more than likely not be on here too - again don't all cheer at once.

But as most of us know, the issue(s) goes with me, except going to VM.

Yes the issue has caused my phone to cut the call, which for me is a life line (mobile signal isn't great here).

So, has anybody out there ever been able to force/persuade Openreach into fixing this type of issue?

Although doubtful, would going to Ofcom be worth it?

I thought I'd give a BTH6 a go too, but it isn't looking good Sad

dsl:VDSL link Up: Down Rate=29319Kbps, Up Rate=4729Kbps, SNR Margin Down=0.00dB, SNR Margin Up=6.00dB
:connection ATM_DATA disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]
:connection ATM_TV disconnected.[ERROR_USER_DISCONNECT]

dsl:VDSL Link Down: duration was 1709 seconds

dsl:VDSL Link Down: duration was 43340 seconds

(oddly, my issue is normally with the u/s SNR going from 0.8-14dB, not the d/s)

Being as the mobile signal isn't brilliant, doubt going to a 4G data option would be a long term solution.

Thoughts/ideas welcome Wink

116 REPLIES 116
DS
Seasoned Champion

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

For any readers (being as there's no writersRoll_eyes)

I was going to go quietly, but I've decided I'm not deserting this ship without a fight.

Spoken to Ofcom earlier, a bit of a waste of time, it did sound like notes were being taken, but their solution is moving off the BT infrastructure.

I've made contact with Openreach, let's see where this goes...?

Once that option is exhausted, gonna try Resolver. Maybe I should have done this first, but hey ho.

Then the Ombudsman services.

Even after leaving PN, I hope other providers can once again become an option.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it - thoughts welcome

Hello @DS,

I am sorry to hear you feel this way and that you are looking to escalate the issue through other channels. I have updated your ticket here with options we have made available to move forward.

Please get back to us via the ticket with how you would to move forward.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

A tad confused here Undecided

The above wasn't aimed at the staff on these forums, it was merely that Openreach have basically not, imho, done the right thing here. The fact that during my many weeks/months/years* of testing, I was able to, very recently, kill a phone call when the router rebooted. This, imho, is more of an issue than the loss of BB itself. Mobiles don't work here that well and so a safe, problem free, cordless phone is my only option. Being an almost full time wheelchair user (no, not throwing the wild card in) and having other serious health issues, a corded phone isn't practical. Yes the loss of BB gives me nothing but hassle, whinging kids adults now, TV's almost failing, additional stress for me etc etc etc. And yes I know phone lines aren't guaranteed to be fault free 24/7-365.

I, in pure frustration, asked PN to release me if the fault was not fixed - and this fault is not fixed. So PN released me. Of course I'd have preferred to stay, why would we firstly join you and then actually renew our contracts. Openreach should have replaced the cable and we'd have carried on with the contract, with me enriching the lives of others with my flooding posts offering a helping hand.

The complaint is aimed solely at Openreach, not you, not Plusnet (well not those I've dealt with anyway) and basically I'm stuffed, stuck with only VM as a viable solution. I really don't want to go to them, but what else can I do?

I had no idea anyone had replied to the ticket, no emails have been sent notifying of extra bits being added after my request to see how the H6 goes, which at this present time it ain't looking goodCry

Anyhoo, I'll take a look see and reply on there.

Just thought I'd make this public, so others out there don't think the same as what I think you've thought.

*this all started in 2008, yes 11 years a go.

edit. The clue was in the title - Infrastructure issue (cable fill) but Openreach won't fix it

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @DS,

I appreciate that your post wasn't aim at us and more at our suppliers. I am sincerely sorry for the problem you are experiencing with our service and can assure you we would certainly like to keep you as a customer, as we do value your custom.

As you are our customer, we just want to make sure we are carrying out all options available to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Wowser, made another edit and get a timed out message - you've run out of time to edit your post (or words similar)

Was in edit...

PN's reply on the ticket at 21:33 last night did send an email, but for reasons unknown it went to spam at 22:02 last night. So for that I'll apologise for not knowing that reply had generated an email.

All other additions to the ticket have not generated an email to the inbox or spam, thus far.

Regarding the latest reply, time stamped 18:21 tonight, we're have an argument discussing this now, but will reply on the ticket as soon as my bruising subsides possible. Fair enough?

DS
Seasoned Champion

PN may wish to check their email system(s), maybe even raise a forum post like some customers have had to do lately...

Forum email notifications to my forum account arrive pretty darn quick.

Auto emails sent via your ticket system, are no el quicko, going to the email account of SWMBO,the last ticket at 18:21 must have come via this:

BT on the case.JPG

As it didn't arrive till 20:01.

Moving on, a reply to the ticket has just been made

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hey @DS, I've added a reply to your ticket.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

You've got mail a reply.

As per what's been said, any issues and you reply on there, please let me know on here as it's still quicker than the email from the ticket system currently Wink

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've just updated the ticket again

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks Smiley

Back at ya Wink

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @DS,

Thanks for getting back to us. I've raised a further response via the ticket now, so please just let us know once you get another chance to take a look at it and respond. Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Thanks Smiley

And I have just replied to your demands requirements Wink

(and yes, I do mean you!!KnuppelThumbs_Up)

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @DS,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I've updated the ticket further and hopefully alleviated any concerns you had about what I previously advised (For your sake and mine Wink )

Please let us know if there's anything else we might be able to help with in the meantime and we'll be happy to assist further.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

And here's me sharpening the tips on me darts (ask Anoush, he'll fill you in;))

But who'll be the fool? - the clue is in the dateAzn

Please let us know if there's anything else we might be able to help with in the meantime and we'll be happy to assist further.

I've got some weeds that need pulling, if you're up for it!! - might be a long walk though....

(I'll get my coat)

Dropped a quick reply too;)