Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info on DLM after fault repair

christ
Grafter

Info on DLM after fault repair

Hi there,
Openreach have just visited to fix some faults on my line that were causing a loud crackling and reduced internet speed. They seem to have done a good job because the phone line is now significantly quieter than it has been of late. However, my internet speed is still around one third of what it was when my line was working perfectly (13Mb/s instead of 38Mb/s), and my latency is around double what it used to be (32ms instead of 16ms). I am guessing that DLM imposed these limits due to a poor quality line and multiple disconnections.
So is there is any way to prompt DLM to start "reviewing" the performance of my line now it's allegedly been repaired?
Thanks for your help,
Chris
9 REPLIES 9
MelRocks
Grafter

Re: Info on DLM after fault repair

Hi there,
Unfortunately this is not possible on Fibre, but it will reset itself in 3 days time as long as it remains stable, so please ensure you are not resetting or turning off your router during this time. Thank you.
christ
Grafter

Ah OK, super, thanks!
Chris
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

At no point does DLM reset itself an Openreach broadband Engineer has to make a request to have DLM reset if he / she feels one is needed after a repair, DLM may increase speed back if it thinks the line can handle it  and this might only take a couple of days but also it's not uncommon for it to take weeks if at all.
christ
Grafter

Oh, right, thanks for the information.
I guess maybe I should give it a week to see if things begin to pick up.
Does DLM tend to increase the speed gradually if no faults are detected (as opposed to a step change overnight, for example)?
Having experienced the full 38Mbps download speed at this property within the last six months, and having been told recently by Plusnet that the highest speed I could expect to achieve is around 60Mbps, I'm hopeful DLM will increase the speed to the pre-fault level.
Chris
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It all depends on DLM and how it feels the line is doing, it may do it gradually or in one go and it mostly does changes in the early hours.
christ
Grafter

Interesting, thanks. I'll wait and see!
I'll post back with the result soon.
Chris
christ
Grafter

Totally forgot to update on this issue (in case anyone's experiencing similar problems and would like to know the outcome)...
I waited a week or so for my speed to go back up, but nothing was happening. I added a comment on the fault that was logged with Plusnet and a couple of days later - unannounced - an Openreach engineer turned up (good job I had the day off) and said that all that was required was him to make a phone call to his office and reset something. He made the call and straight away my download speed returned to 38 Mb/s and my ping dropped to around 15-20 ms, as it used to be.
My upload speed is still a bit lower than it should be (10 Mb/s instead of 20 Mb/s), but for the most part I'm up and running again.
I will be investigating the low upload speed, because the profile for my line is 20 Mb/s upload, according to BT Wholesale.
Chris
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

The 20 Mbps upload is the maximum for the product you are on. The upload profile does not work like the download profile in that it tracks actual speeds. Anyone on a product that has a max upload of speed of 20 Mbps will have that profile, whether they can achieve 1 Mbps or 20 Mbps. In other words, that upload profile is only indicative of what product you are on, not what speed you will achieve.
Hope that makes sense.
christ
Grafter

Ah OK, thanks for the information.
I guess the upload is what it is, then - I'm just thankful it's all stable again.
Chris