Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inernet download speed very poor.

yalbi
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

Inernet download speed very poor.

Hi

Having buffering issues with videos I ran a speed check and found my download speed around 2.8 mbps! Rebooted router but problem remains. Any suggestions happily received.

19 REPLIES 19
yalbi
Dabbler

Re: Inernet download speed very poor.

Thats strange, I just ran another test (10 minutes later) and its now 45.5 mbps

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @yalbi, I'm sorry to hear you've been having performance issues with your broadband as of recent. Checking your connection from this side we are currently seeing 51.9Mbps download getting to the router. However as your line estimates are 58.1-79.7Mbps this is under where we'd expect and it hints that something is out of place somewhere. I'd advise then to run through a few checks your side that will rule a few things out that may be behind this.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
Let us know when you're in the test socket set-up this side and we'll happily re-test from this side for change.

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Let us know how it goes.

yalbi
Dabbler

When I use my desktop to check download speed (it is connected using a network adaptor) I get a speed in the 30's however when I use my chrome book (no ethernet connection on this) I get a speed of 2.5 ish using wifi. Both of these are obviously way too low. The router is connected to the master socket and wiring is ok.

Thanks

Ian Blay

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @yalbi, thanks for getting back to us. When testing your speeds we'd recommend sticking to wired connections at least for the moment. I say this as currently we are aware there's not enough speed reaching the router so there's certainly a underlying issue with the connection as a whole somewhere. It looks like there very well could be a wireless interference issue also however trying to improve wireless whilst there's a underlying issue effecting the whole connection may be somewhat difficult. Once we've resolved the missing speed issue then we'll certainly provide you steps on how best to optimise the wireless settings to suite your router if issues do persist with that connection type.

As mentioned, so we can rule out all internal factors as being the cause could you please plug your router into the test socket. I appreciate it's currently plugged into your master socket and the wiring to your knowledge is fine however very much like faults that can occur on the line outside, internal wiring can become faulty also and why we'd need to rule this out before raising a fault and progressing this issue further. Let us know when you're in the test socket and we'll happily re-test from this side for change.

yalbi
Dabbler

Forgive me but I have no idea what you mean. My router is plugged into the master socket ie where the internet enters my house (what is a test socket?). I have now connected the desktop directly to the router via ethernet. Test socket?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hi @yalbi 

Did you have a look at Ben's link https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

It shows how to locate the test socket.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
yalbi
Dabbler

Sorry just saw that. Now connected to test socket.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @yalbi, thanks for confirming you're now in the test socket. I'm afraid however it may not be set-up in the test socket correctly. I say this as when we are testing currently we aren't seeing the router was in sync as it was before which shouldn't be the case. Can I ask then so we can make sure it's not the set-up your side if you have a ADSL filter plugged into your test socket? Also, the wire that should connect from the filter to the router, are you using the standard 1 meter one that came with the router?

The test socket rules out a number of potential internal wiring issue which could be behind the speed issue but in no way should it stop the router from connecting to our side. I'd suggest checking the router to make sure everything is plugged in as should be as it certainly seems like something is missing from this side. Let us know how it goes and if you get the router back in sync (the solid blue light) so we can check the speeds from this side for change.

yalbi
Dabbler

I do not have an adsl filter. Haven't used one for years. Plugged test socket to router using the cable off my old Panasonic phone. It is all I could find. I get a solid Internet light but its not blue. Can't tell you the colour, I am colour blind but I know it ain't blue. Thanks for your assistance.
yalbi
Dabbler

OK I understand you cannot do diagnostics as I do not have the filter or cable. I have put everything back as it was.

yalbi
Dabbler

I do not have the filter or cable so I have put things back as they were. 

yalbi
Dabbler

OK I have an old adsl filter that I managed to scrounge but I do not have a cable. Can you post me one out or tell me its name so I can order one from somewhere. No-one seems to sell this stuff except on the internet.

yalbi
Dabbler

Just noticed that my chromebook wifi download speed is 2.5 ish whereas my Android tablet speed is 25.5 ish. Thats according to internet speed test sites. Totally different on same wifi. Ethernet about 45.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @yalbi,

So I've performed further testing today, and it looks like you might have a potential issue with the phone line. Can you try picking up your handset and letting us know if you are hearing anything that you shouldn't (crackling etc) or nothing at all?

Thanks.