Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly slow fibre speeds

Quicky
Dabbler

Re: Incredibly slow fibre speeds

Nice one Andy.
Cheers Kevin. I find it so odd. Clearly I'm not going to be in a position to recommend Plusnet to anyone who asks for it, and I intend to be as vocal as possible about my issues. Even though I understand they cannot directly fix the problem themselves, I'm amazed that they can continue to charge the same rate based on the fact that I still am able to connect to the internet, and the speed is irrelevant. It's making a bad situation worse. Discount me, and I'll happily wait for a fix.That's doing everything they can. Now, despite how nicely it's phrased, I'm effectively being told "Tough shit, you signed a contract".
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Adam,
Not wanting to put petrol on this issue, but is there room here to consider charging the broadband at the up to 38Mbps price until such time as BTw get their act together?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Quicky
Dabbler

Hi all,
As per the comments on the BT thread linked to earlier (https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Awful-speeds-during-peak-hours/m-p/1385195), the problem appears to have been resolved. Looks like quite a few people in the area had been suffering. I can also confirm the BBCs interest in the issue, as I'm aware they had been in touch with local organisations asking for comment about the poor service Aberystwyth customers were receiving. Not wanting to sound too cynical, but I suspect this had more to do with the resolution than any of our collective complaints.
Thanks to everyone for their responses and thanks to Adam for you diagnosis of the problem - it provided something concrete to pass to other local users also having this issue. Incidentally, the new router that was sent to me as a result of the support ticket has arrived. I mentioned straight away on the ticket that it would be redundant, but looks like the support team sent it out anyway. Do you guys want to collect it, or shall I stick on ebay and try to claw some funds back?
Cheers,
Quicky
AndyH
Grafter

Out of interest, did anyone from PN give you an update after Adam C's post from 18 Oct?
It's not great if you have to rely on information a different ISP is giving to its customers!
Quicky
Dabbler

Yes and no. Adam posted on the ticket on 17th Oct to say the VLAN was over the threshold. The next update on the ticket was from yesterday afternoon (21st):
Thank you for getting back in touch and apologies in the delay in getting back to you.
I have reviewed my colleagues response and can see that your circuit is currently attached to a RED Virtual Path, this effectively means it is well over threshold meaning all traffic on here could suffer from throughput speed issues. This is already in hand so I shall move your ticket over to our exchange issues for it to be monitored more closely. I expect to have an update for you tomorrow.
I apologise for the inconvenience this issue may be causing.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net/ or by phone on 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
Dan Green

The BT forum thread had been updated in the meantime (20th) to say that the work was being carried out and on the morning of the 21st confirmed that the work had been completed. So there was a bit of a delay in updates from Plusnet compared to BT, but not by a huge amount.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet are still behind!
http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Quicky
Aberystwyth

This exchange has had speed issues for YEARS.
There are simply far too many ADSL connections for its upstream link to handle.
To clarify, BT have failed to realise that of the 6000+ properties that the exchange serves, 70%+ of them will be multiple occupancy and they actually need to double the available capacity.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
funroll

I live just around the corner from Quicky - but I think we're possibly on a different cabinet.  Just chipping in to say that I was experiencing a similar issue with drops from 37Mbit during the day down to more like 10 after 6pm and magically last night it was back to a solid 37.  No support ticket logged.  We'll see what happens with my speed test tonight 🙂  And I agree, it was probably more to do with the BBC interest than anything else.