Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredibly low fibre speeds

iballsas
Grafter

Incredibly low fibre speeds

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help. In the last couple of weeks our fibre broadband is getting slower and slower. We've added nothing new and nothing has changed in our house/connections.
I'm struggling to get my speed checker app to even connect let alone register a speed. The majority of the time if I am able to connect and check the speed it is under 1mpbs.
I contacted support who told me the line is fine, but there is clearly something wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Iain
15 REPLIES 15
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Incredibly low fibre speeds

Iain
You need to start with this link https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,143836.0.html and then the section marked "Speed Fault (EPP)" at this link http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-fttc/
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
iballsas
Grafter

Thanks for your help.
I've done what the links suggest and it says:
Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.
The best effort download speed was 20.01mpbs.
However, having changed my username, it now won't let me change it back to my plusnet username, just keeps saying not connected to the internet, any thoughts?
iballsas
Grafter

Okay, finally got it to connect again, however, still very slow, anyone point me in the direction of what to do next?
Thanks
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Are you testing using wifi or a wired connection?
A wired connection removes the possibility of wifi issues causing the slow speeds.
If it is still slow follow the bb fault troubleshooter here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/
iballsas
Grafter

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help.
I've done the troubleshooter and reported the problem, but I've got no idea where to find any update on whether the problem is being resolved. I've had absolutely no contact from plusnet.
This is becoming increasingly frustrating and the problem is getting worse, we can barely manage to stream more than 5 mins of a programme on sky without it having to stop and load. Even simple web pages like google take an eternity to load.
I'm out of contract now with plusnet so suspect it's now time to change...
SpendLessTime
Hero

Click the link in my signature to Open and Closed questions
iballsas
Grafter

Thanks for the link, I see no action and nothing has been done since the problem was reported on 21/01/16!!
I note one of the comments is Plusnet aim to respond within 24 hours!!!
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are you doing these tests via a wired or wireless connection?
For anyone to be able to help you will need to provide a bit more information.
iballsas
Grafter

The tests are being done by a wired connection to avoid wireless being the issue.
As an aside, we're using a BT Homehub 3 what options are there for upgrading the router to get better coverage and the ability to connect more devices and is it an easy job to change?
Thanks
SpendLessTime
Hero

Plusnet will sell you their rebranded BT Homehub 5A for £99. It has a 1 year guarantee.
You can pick up a HH5 for £50 or less on ebay.
Other brands are available, just look  through the forum as people ask for what can I use quite often.
iballsas
Grafter

Thanks, I'll take a look, does the HH5 offer a better level of coverage/strength of signal. We have a summer house at the bottom of the garden and the Wi-Fi signal is a bit patchy, so looking for something with a stronger signal.
Is there any update on the other issues we're experiencing? I've clicked your link and sent another message, but there is still no reply or attempt at a resolution?
Thanks
bugs4me
Grafter

If I was you I'd go straight for a Billion 8800NL available from Amazon. If you're using the BT modem plus a router then the Billion will remove the need to use the BT modem as it has VDSL enabled. Amazon will advise you to buy the 8800AXL but unless you need all the bells and whistles then it's not worth it.
If the Billion doesn't make any difference then you can always return it and get a full refund.
cedlor
Grafter

can you post the stats from your router and your speed from the link below [logon required]  delete phone numbers ssids etc
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
Looking at your account I can see that you started the fault checker on the 21st Jan but the questions weren't completed until the 30th, at which point the fault is sent to our faults team here to investigate. That usually takes around 72 hours for an update, so I'd expect a reply today (although I am actually testing the line now anyway).
The line looks good and stable:

The BT Speedtest result saved for your line don't show any issues either, on the test you performed on the 30th Jan this showed a throughout of 37.8Mb/s which is exactly where I'd expect it.
Can you give us some speedtest results where this is low? Or even better, run the BT Speedtest again when the speeds are low as this is what is stored against the fault report.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.