cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased my upload speed from 6Mbps to 13Mbps by putting ECI modem in freezer!!

GrottoTree
Grafter

Increased my upload speed from 6Mbps to 13Mbps by putting ECI modem in freezer!!

So for those who have seen my previous posts, my upload speed has not been ideal for a long time, until now I have just attributed it to growth and additional cross talk on BT's openreach network.
Well today just as a experiment, I put my ECI modem (B-FOCUS V-2FUb/r Rev.B) in the freezer for about 20 minutes and then mounted it the upright position to aid airflow. My Upload speed has since increased from 6Mbps to 13Mbps!  Cheesy
Will have to wait and see if the speed improvement lasts. Would be interested if people repeat what I did and see if their upload speed increases to.
Regards: Elliott
14 REPLIES 14
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

Re: Increased my upload speed from 6Mbps to 13Mbps by putting ECI modem in freezer!!

Report back when it defrosts ...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Increased my upload speed from 6Mbps to 13Mbps by putting ECI modem in freezer!!

Any change to download or is it just the upload that uses the colder frequency bands?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Finguz
Grafter

I don't even... Shocked Crazy
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

That's pretty 'cool'. *Gets coat*
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Maybe we should put this as a tip in Adam's speed fault guide sticky?  Crazy
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
GrottoTree
Grafter

Upload speed still good, still in the 12-13Mbps range. I reckon the cold temperature must have caused the PCB of the ECI modem to contract improving some of the solder joints/connections - Only a guess though!
Can't say I have seen any real improvement on the download or ping, although that was never an issue.
See my result here: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4674505218
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matthew
That's pretty 'cool'. *Gets coat*

Matthew, whilst contributing to this somewhat humorous thread, could you find the time please to mosey on over to the capacity issues thread and provide an update on your testing?
GrottoTree
Grafter

Speed still Good  Grin
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4675046374
I know many properly think this is a hoax, but you will have to take my word on it. Anyone willing to post their results?
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@GrottoTree - it is an interesting result. I would think it either means you have a faulty modem, or something in the design of the ECI modem is less than optimal.
If you were to try another ECI modem, not cooled down, would you get the slower or the faster speed. If the slower speed, then I would say the ECI design is not optimal. Needless to say you shouldn't have to cool down your modem to get the optimal speed. If you get the faster speed, then I would say you have a faulty modem.
It would be interesting to find out which it is.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Here's my speed result considering i had part of my line replaced and now using a HH5 type B
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

chances are your modem overheated in the past and the freezer just caused something to regain its original shape (like a capacitor) granting you the extra speed)
either way it wont last long and you should get a replacement for the ECI modem, they are unfit for purpose at best and a fire hazard at worse
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

you're worrying me a bit with that last comment... Mine's well vented and on a solid surface, but I don't want to come back to a blackened husk of a house!
adie:quote
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Just put your hand on the outside of the modem and see how hot it feels, most of the people with problems do have their unit on carpet......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nanotm
Just put your hand on the outside of the modem and see how hot it feels, most of the people with problems do have their unit on carpet......