Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase Upload Speeds

camerongray1515
Dabbler

Increase Upload Speeds

Hi,
I am currently on a 80/20 service however I am moving property where the the fastest speed I can get is 38mbps.  This download speed is fine for me however I have just realised that the maximum upload speed of this is only 2mpbs - Is there any possible way to get a higher upload speed on this?  Do openreach still offer the 40/8 plan, would this be possible?  Alternatively, what if I went on the 80/20 product despite the poorer line, would this still give me better upload?
Thanks,
Cameron
22 REPLIES 22
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Increase Upload Speeds

my experience
Openreach still offer the 40/10 option but Plusnet won't
Plusnet systems won't allow 80/20 to be ordered when the predicted speed is less than 40Mb/s
It may - just may - be possible to do it manually
When you say that the maximum speed you can get is 38Mb/s is this the maximum result from the BT availability test http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
catelliott
Grafter

Hi camerongray1515,
Unfortunately, our systems won't allow us to put you on the 80/20 package unless your estimated speed is higher than 40Mb/s, I'm really sorry about this Sad
camerongray1515
Dabbler

Ahh, that's a pain.  So there is no way this can be done, even manually?  Is this ever likely to change in the future?  The main reason I'm on a fibre plan is for the upload speed, I don't need much download bandwidth at all.
Does Plusnet not have the ability to offer the 40/10 plan as I can see this available with other providers?  This would be ideal for me.
catelliott
Grafter

I'm afraid not Sad I can't say if there will be that option in the future, there isn't anything planned as far as I'm aware.
The only options we have at the moment are 40/2 or 80/20, but 80/20 can't be added to your account unless your line is capable of the download  Undecided
GeordieMark
Grafter

If you're not in contract you're probably better off looking at BT's infinity 1, which is 40/10 for £12.50 +  line rental (I think)
camerongray1515
Dabbler

I am currently in a contract but if I'm honest I'd rather pay the cancellation charge than be stuck with 2mbps up.  However, before posting this I already arranged the move to be performed on the 20th of June.
What is the "cooling off" period on this?  Can I cancel the installation before the 20th and therefore pay the Plusnet cancellation charge for my current contract and change to an ISP that offers a reasonable upload speed.
nigel1971
Grafter

Why has plusnet gone backwards on speeds? feels like were back in the 1990s, although i'm not affected by this i think it's disgusting and we should be moving forwards and not back.
GeordieMark
Grafter

I can't see any sense in it, other than the cost savings for PN, but I can't understand why they can't offer a 40/10 product as per most ISP's do.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

As far as I am aware, I'm on a 40/20 contract (or so it says in the Member Centre). Even on fibre my line won't support a faster download
Has my upload speed now been capped to 1.9Mbps? If so, why was I not notified?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@maranello
Unless you've contacted us and agreed to account changes, no changes should have happened to your account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the quick response Chris.
Does this mean that so long as I don't change product, my upload speed will not be capped below 20Mbps?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Estragon
Rising Star

Chris?
I thought what you just said also applied to house moves? That the product the customer is on is what they take with them? So even though they couldn't get 80Mbps why couldn't they stay on the same product?
I'm sure since the 40/2 was announced another customer on 40/20 has been allowed to take it with them.
OK, maybe the target location in that case could achieve over 40Mbps, I don't know, but it seems very odd indeed to prevent someone who wants to pay your top price for something isn't allowed to, when they have clearly indicated they are willing to accept the fact they won't get that top downstream speed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A house move should be provided on 40/2 now as it would generally be agreeing to a new contractual period so the previous contract wouldn't apply if this was the case.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As an FTTC newbie (installed today) I was wondering why my upload speed was stuck at 1.88M.
Now I know.
I saw on the Plusnet FAQ that on the unlimited fibre, download speed was limited to 40M but there was nothing about upload speeds being capped at 2M.
Added to the confusion are the posters on this forum who talk about 40/20 which I now understand to be a product that is no longer available.
I am a bit miffed at being limited to 2M upload when the line can go a lot faster. Sad
update:
Looking through the closed tickets for today, there is this one
12:55am, Monday 13 Jul 2015
Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Provisioned Service \'WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 40Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability\' added as a part of Account Change process
Unfortunately, later in the day, there is this ticket
1:20pm, Monday 13 Jul 2015
Subject: Your upload speed has been changed
The order we placed to change your upload speed has completed.
Your upload speed is now 2Mbit/s.