Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect line speed

hitz79
Hooked

Incorrect line speed

HI 

I have only switched a few days ago and may be jumping the gun but my current line speed has been 55.4Mbps since I switched to Plusnet.  With sky it was 80Mbps and this was giving me much faster download speeds then I am currently getting.  Do I need to wait longer for it to increase or is there a problem.

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 42 - 58Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 7 - 12Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 36.4Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 55.4Mbps

Thanks for any help

Hetash Patel

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Incorrect line speed

Post the results of the BTW DSL checker to give us a better idea.

Log into the router, go to the Advanved/Troubleshooting/Help Desk tab, and post that as well - hiding your number in the first, and username in the second.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @hitz79 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see your download speed is slower than you'd expect.

Testing your line is showing your router's getting a sync speed of 57mbps, so the line speed you've quoted above^ is correct as the line speed should match the supplier IP profile which is automatically set at between 90 to 96% of the sync speed, which in turn is the physical speed your router gets from the cabinet (the green box in the road).

Having said that line tests are also showing a fault somewhere along the line between the cabinet and your property which is likely slowing your speed down. I've raised this to our suppliers and we've been given an estimated response time of by 29/09/21 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and take a closer look.

I can't guarantee you'll get 80mbps again like you had with Sky, but once the fault's resolved and/or over time, you may do. I say over time because there are settings at the cabinet (the DLM, dynamic line management software) that can artificially increase your speed but when you move to another provider, these settings are reset, so with time the software may automatically apply the same settings you had before with Sky.  

Let us know how it goes over the next few days. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hitz79
Hooked

Thank you for the response @Gandalf .  I am currently getting speeds 20% slower than sky.  The speeds were consistent for the 10 years I was with them and the line was very stable as i had very few drop outs over the time period.  This leads me to believe there is a problem with my new setup.

I will wait till after the 29th to see if there is any improvement and advise you accordingly.

Thanks

Hetash

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem @hitz79 

The issue's likely one or both I've suggested above ^

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hitz79
Hooked

@Gandalf just for your information my line speed has dropped further today.

Hetash

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @hitz79

Thanks a lot for reaching out again. The phone fault is ongoing so it's likely that your sync speeds will fluctuate a little over the next few days while it's resolved. Once it is, we'll be able to re-evaluate the situation to see if your speeds have improved.

Hang on until Thursday when the phone fault is due to be addressed and our Tech Support Team will be in touch.

You can both view and respond to the open fault Ticket for direct comms with our Tech Support Team here.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
hitz79
Hooked

Hi @adam945

I have been told the problem with my line has been fixed however my sync speed remains at 57Mbps. Do I need to wait for the DLM to do its magic. Also do I need to reboot my router at any point ?
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @hitz79, thanks for getting back to us. I am pleased the fault has been resolved and sorry to hear the speeds are less than expected.

I have tested the line and this hasn't highlighted any issues and the current sync speed is within your estimates. As my colleague has mentioned above, this may improve over time so would be worth monitoring and seeing how things go.

In the meantime, you could get your router connected to the test socket as shown here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 just to see if that makes any improvement.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
hitz79
Hooked

Hi @LaurenB

Thank you for your help I guess I will just have to wait and see and hope my speeds return to what I had with Sky.