cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent Download Speeds

ColeTrickle

Inconsistent Download Speeds

For the past 5 or 6 weeks ( I'm a new customer ) my download speeds have been excellent at around 70 Mbps, upload at around 17 or 18 Mbps. Now however download speed is around 13 Mbps with upload still hovering at 17 or 18. These speeds are from my laptop. My tablet is showing download of 70 Mbps and upload of 17 or 18 Mbps. All of the tests have been made using Speedtest.net, which I note is the same used on the plusnet website.

2 REPLIES 2
MrPowell

Re: Inconsistent Download Speeds

@ColeTrickle

Hello, if your tablet is showing the correct download speed it may very well be something with your laptop. However, it may be worth having a look at the Wifi guide on the help and support section as this may improve this. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

I find I experience a poor download speed on my laptop when windows updates are downloading in the background but other devices are fine. I would ensure nothing is running in the background as well just a simple check of network usage in task manager should clarify this. 

Thanks, R

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Inconsistent Download Speeds

Hi there, 

To back up what MRPowell has mentioned, if will be an issue in relation to your laptop in some way if speeds are fine on other devices. 

Were you sat any further away from the router when you ran the test using the laptop? 

There's some additional material here for getting the most from WiFi which I'd have a look at too: 

https://goo.gl/BBd2Tu

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team