Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impacted Range

shure
Grafter

Impacted Range

Hi all,
Recently had fibre installed.  While I'm generally not unhappy with my speeds I've noticed that they correspond more to the impacted range of the BT estimate than the clean one, especially with the upload speed.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01604xxxx on Exchange HACKLETON is served by Cabinet 3
Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 74 54.9 20 16.2 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 65.1 39.4 20 11.5 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

Any ideas why this should be the case and if there's anything I can do about it?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Impacted Range

In your case - no
In my case I am getting mid to bottom of the impacted range and the reason apparently is that the cable from the cab to the local DP is lead sheathed (according to BT Engineer)
Connection speed (kbps): 48124 9355
Although according to this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html I should only be getting 28 Mbps down 10 Mbps up
shure
Grafter

yes I think that estimate is well off!  I should be getting half of what I do according to that.
So is there no way of checking then short of bumping into an engineer?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shure
Any ideas why this should be the case and if there's anything I can do about it?
Some info here:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6173-bt-wholesale-checker-adds-more-information-for-fibre-connect...
That interpretation suggests that it's there to tell you what you'll get if your internal wiring is naff. That actually makes a lot of sense but I didn't think Plusnet did wires only installs so it shouldn't be an issue. The more common explanation is that 'impacted' is what you get if your telephone line itself is a bit naff but I'm not sure why BT would bother to tell you that.
I suggest you review your internal wiring then try raising a fault. I doubt that BT will do anything but you might as well ask.
Quote from: shure
So is there no way of checking then short of bumping into an engineer?
Not unless you decide to stage a midnight commando raid and go opening manhole covers. Even BT often don't know the quality of a specific line. But do note that TBB interpretation with respect to internal wiring. To me that makes a lot of sense. It's saying 'This customer ought to be able to get xxx but if their own wiring is a bit dodgy it'll probably only be yyy'.
shure
Grafter

@Andrue,
thanks for that info.  The wiring should be good.  I had an OR engineer here about a year ago (when I was still ADSL) who moved my master socket and installed a new MK3 faceplate at the same time, so if he did a duff job I'd be a little annoyed. 
Haven't got a balaclava for the midnight raid, unfortunately.  I'm guessing that PN / OR won't sanction an engineer visit if it's within the impacted range?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine's pretty much always been in the 'impacted' range, I doubt if it's my internal wiring since that consists of about a foot of wire from an external junction box straight through the wall to a single master socket with SSFP (never had any extensions).  All our wiring from the cabinet is underground and I've never been aware of any local issues with this.
The one thing they did when installing the Fibre cabinet was to place it around 50-60m our side on the CPC which means the connections from the FTTC cabinet travel 50-60m away from our house (and probably all the houses served by the cabinet), crossing a road in the process then, from the PCP travelling back again in the correct direction - this means the line length is at least 100-120m longer than the distance from the FTTC cabinet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.