cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impacted Line FTTC?

cspiby
Grafter

Impacted Line FTTC?

Does Plusnet (or BTW) hold data as to whether a line is actually impacted or should be working as clean?

Or is a line's status (A or B) decided from the sync speed band it falls into?

11 REPLIES 11
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Impacted Line FTTC?

Hello @cspiby

We can find out when we test a fibre circuit. For example, if the test results detect cross talk or a bridge tap then it that usually indicate the line is impacted.

I've tested the line of the account associated with your forum username and there's neither of the above detected.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Wouldn't a bridged tap be something for an engineer to find and fix?

Internal extension wiring not filtered off with a faceplate on the master socket could also be a reason for getting speeds in the B range (when the internal wiring acts as a bridged tap).

cspiby
Grafter

Thanks but its not about my line but a family members.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

@Anoush - Would you mind running that same test on my line please? The reason I ask is that my speed dropped severely a while back, and when I started to raise a fault, the test cam back showing a fault. Anyway, the speeds picked back up after a short while so I cancelled any engineer visit. I am assuming all is back to normal but if it easy enough for you to run that test, I would be interested to know if anything shows up.

Thanks in advance.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@ejs - Possibly. I imagine we'd also go by the engineer notes to determine if the problem is fixable or not. As far as I am aware, we'll go by the Clean estimates unless indicated otherwise by an engineer.

@cspiby - Ah I see. Feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Smiley

@jafreer - Sure thing, I'll run a test tomorrow and will post up the results.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Anoush wrote:

@ejs - Possibly. I imagine we'd also go by the engineer notes to determine if the problem is fixable or not. As far as I am aware, we'll go by the Clean estimates unless indicated otherwise by an engineer.

Which is exactly what ISPs are not supposed to do with self-install FTTC.

Also, what engineer notes would you even have if you've only got the results from the GEA FTTC test?

TBH, it doesn't sound very sensible, to do self-install FTTC, and then if someone complains that they aren't getting speeds in the A range, you'd send an engineer.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I agree, because self install FTTC does mean that internal wiring won't always be bypassed as there might not always be an SSFP. We'd generally ask the end user to try the test socket where possible before arranging an engineer.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your patience @jafreer

No cross talk or bridge taps detected either.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Brilliant - thanks for that Anoush. I suspected there should be no issues but since it seems that you can readily run a test, I thought what's the harm. Yes, I am not sure what happened to impact the speeds previously but it has only happened once in the 2 years of having FTTC.

Thanks again.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem.

I pretty much understand the frustration, the sync rate/speed estimate on my line at home has dropped from about 54 Mbps to 47 Mbps over the past few years. I'm always sitting at the low end of the estimates too.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@ejs wrote:

@Anoush wrote:

Which is exactly what ISPs are not supposed to do with self-install FTTC.

Also, what engineer notes would you even have if you've only got the results from the GEA FTTC test?

TBH, it doesn't sound very sensible, to do self-install FTTC, and then if someone complains that they aren't getting speeds in the A range, you'd send an engineer.

Speed estimates are based off of the clean estimates.

If a customers speeds are below the MGALS (Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed) for the clean estimate and an engineer goes out and advises the reason behind this is because the line is impacted, but cannot fix this for whatever reason, the speeds would still be below the clean MGALS and we'd write off the contract if the faults process had been exhausted and no resolution was possible to get the speeds back within the clean estimates.

Basically, the quote from @Anoush should be more along the lines of:

@Anoush wrote:

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet