cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal restrictions placed on my account ... AGAIN!!!

Lynnwarbo11
Dabbler

Illegal restrictions placed on my account ... AGAIN!!!

Despite a 30 minute phone call on Monday with a plusnet rep and reassurances that further restrictions would not be placed onto my account ... as it is ILLEGAL to do so by any ISP until day 14 of a failed DD .. I again have spent 20 mins attempting to watch Now TV ... there is a basic connection which but limited speed so I unable to stream.
How am I writing this then I hear you ask ... by using my very limited mobile data as speeds are so bad I cannot even log into plusnet!!!!
I've tried to be fair and despite having proof of these restrictions and acknowledgements that by plusnet reps that there are certain restrictions (again illegal) placed onto an account at 3 seperate times even if you have an ongoing arrangement ie payment agreement I intend to officially approach external agencies to assist me with these issues ... an utter disgrace ...
22 REPLIES 22
Lynnwarbo11
Dabbler

Re: Illegal restrictions placed on my account ... AGAIN!!!

Just a quick update ... over 50 mins since I attempted to stream a tv show I have tested both wired and wireless connections .. all failing to work due to limited bandwith caused by these illegal restrictions ... I cannot discuss this with Plusnet at this time and tbh if I do so later it will only be to unrestrict my account until I can proceed my issues further ...
LouisejHughes24
Dabbler

I’m in the same boat, half my fault for not using the change the DD date facility that’s finally available! I wouldn’t even mind if I could click to acknowledge and carry on browsing but that service seems to have disappeared and all I get is ‘could not connect to server’.

Oddly, I am using my phone via WiFi but laptops and Prime TV are a no!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Lynnwarbo11

We don't place any speed restrictions on accounts in failed billing, there's a separate issue at play so we need to look at doing some troubleshooting.

Line tests don't indicate any obvious causes for that, so it would be a good idea as the next step for you to run a speed test on a device that's connected to the router directly with a network cable if you can. 

@LouisejHughes24

I can see that you called in after posting and it looks like your issue should be resolved now. Please let me know if not. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lynnwarbo11
Dabbler

I've been informed by more than 5 plusnet employee s that restrictions are placed onto an account after a DD fails on day 1 ... day 5 and fin all full restrictions day 14. Ive also been informed by plusnet that despite me being told for over 18 months it's a 'glitch' plisn't are trying to fix that plusnet chose in Sept 2018 to NOT address this issue (basically not fix it ) hence plusnet have knowingly broke industry regulations by affecting a users speeds etc. before the 14 days established by the industry. I raised this issue formally in January via the resolver websitell and I'm about 14 days away from further escalating it due to zero response from plusnet ...
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Lynnwarbo11

Once an account hits failed billing, we allow a 14 day period of grace to make manual payment before the account would be restricted. On Day 1, 5 & 10 of failed billing, browsing is interrupted by our 'splash screen' reminding you to make payment and this can be bypassed by selecting the option to 'acknowledge and continue browsing'. After 14 Days, if payment has still not been settled, then this is the point restrictions are applied.

We are aware of an incident affecting a small number of a customers whereas they are unable to access the splash screen to bypass the screen and continue browsing. This is something that we are still investigating. To rule out whether this issue affects yourself, I would advise if your browsing is interrupted, to try and access a webpage from an alternative browser/ device. The page will not appear on apps and needs to be accessed by an internet browser such as Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge etc.

Something I'd also advise to help prevent the account falling into failed billing, would be to set up a Direct Debit and then amend the payment date to something more suitable. You can add a Direct Debit here. (Please note the DD date cannot be changed if the next invoice date is within 7 days or if your account is in failed billing).

I am really sorry if you have previously received any incorrect information as to when restrictions are applied.

I can see that your complaint has been assigned a case handler, their latest response can be viewed here. Please add any further queries/ questions relating to your complaint to this ticket and your case handler will pick this up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LouisejHughes24
Dabbler

I’m sorry but this is rubbish! I lost services one week after failed billing in February and had no services for a week until I got paid! I rang and was told that I unless I set up a DD then I would not have my services restored until payment was made. I was also contacted via ticket to confirm this in writing.

If this is incorrect then I would like an explanation as to why I was given 7 days grace before my services were restricted?
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's certainly a flaw in the design then!!

If a customer only uses (in this case) NowTV and possibly only has a mobile phone (for facebook etc) but not normally used to browse the net via a browser, then how would they know of these warnings/restrictions?

On Day 1, 5 & 10 of failed billing, browsing is interrupted by our 'splash screen' reminding you to make payment and this can be bypassed by selecting the option to 'acknowledge and continue browsing'.

From what's being said across a few threads/posts now, this setup only works if you go to a browser, but as I said, what if you only use apps and NowTV etc, because:

The page will not appear on apps and needs to be accessed by an internet browser

Hence, this is where the flaw is, is it not?

Also:

We are aware of an incident affecting a small number of a customers whereas they are unable to access the splash screen to bypass the screen and continue browsing. This is something that we are still investigating.

If the OP hit the 'splash screen' though at the time they're watching (eg) NowTV, they are clearly none the wiser and try to continue watching, thus does this 'warning screen' time out or wait indefinitely until it's acknowledged?

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

I would advise if your browsing is interrupted, to try and access a webpage from an alternative browser/ device.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but how would my fellow customers know to do this, unless we knew we'd hit the 'target' for the 'pay your bill' prompt? Not everyone uses a browser.....

Just saying!;)

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @ Lynnwarbo11

I'm really sorry to hear about your restriction issues.

Can you please confirm if you have spoken directly with our customer services department to change your billing date to one that is more suitable for yourself and you can make payment?

This would stop restriction issues as you can then make a manual payment should you not wish to set up a Direct Debit.

I can see a member of the Advocates team has ownership of your complaint and provided a response here

Thank you for your feedback @DS

We have taken your point onboard and fed this back. It may be worth raising this with @JonoH for further insight.

Kind Regards

LouisejHughes24
Dabbler

You’re making no sense! I can make a manual payment if I dont want to set up a Direct debit? This is what I have always done until last month when I’m told I HAVE to set up a Direct Debit or have my account restricted.

I clear my bill, ask to set up a direct debit and have the most ridiculous choice of dates which are no better than when my current payment is due! So then I lose access again, I can’t win!

Are you acknowledging that without payment services are restricted with no option other than to pay?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed from attachments (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

DS
Seasoned Champion

It may be worth raising this with @JonoH for further insight.

Who me? Or you, as you tagged him Wink

Not one to give ISP's ideas, as I did this with BT (and they took all the creditHuh), but options could be phone (like these auto PPI dialersAngry), or email, or text messages asking the main account holder to call a free phone number asap could be somethings to think about (obsv' without breaking the data protection laws by saying you've not paid, though do you already as a friend might be connected to a router, use their device, use a browser, and they 'time it wrong' and see the splash screen meant for the main account holder, thus embarrassing the main account holder) - I've not been in this position, nor seen the wording of the popup advert message.

Thank you for your feedback

No probs, glad to do my bit Smiley

LouisejHughes24
Dabbler

I have just re read your reply. Are you telling me that I have the option of changing my billing date? Why on earth in 2 years of calling every month and begging for a DD date change, regular charges and restricted services would nobody ever give me this option? For the love of God, the last advisor accepted I would have to find an alternative provider because Plusnet could not do anything further to help me. This is just the worst!
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @LouisejHughes24

I'm really sorry that you haven't been made aware of this.

In September 2018 we had a billing update that caused some teething issues with our billing system.

However, the update introduced the facility to change your direct debit billing date.

This can be arranged by customer services directly and you can have a chat of which date best suits yourself for payment to be taken. There isn't a call queue currently and they can be reached on:

0800 432 0200

Admittedly there have been some issues flagged regarding recurring card payments.

This has caused the splash screen to pop up but isn't a full restriction. This is what @DS was referring to and if you are not on say a laptop or desktop PC you may be none the wiser as your service will appear to have been restricted.

I can see you had a chat with my colleague Warwick who explained the billing issues with your account here

Should you experience further issues with your billing please contact Customer services directly on the telephone number mentioned above.

We're really sorry for any inconvenience caused.

DS
Seasoned Champion

teething issues

I'd have said it was way more than that!!

The forums are becoming a bit of a broken record atm...

Hassle for my fellow customers and sleepless nights for them too and probably management at PN Towers...

Pause all popups, freeze payments for those having issues (whether caused by customers or PN), stop (almost) everything, let normal 'viewing' resume... Fix it, then restart the computer....

(just my opinion) Wink

LouisejHughes24
Dabbler

Thanks @OllieC for your reply.

Can you confirm that I will still get 14 days before my services are cut off like before?

Is my best course of action to change my billing date? As mentioned before, the dates for a direct debit are not suitable for me and fall at awkward times of the month.

I was explicitly told that my services were restricted and would remain so until I set up a DD or paid and this was after 7 days. This was the conversation you were referring to.