cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I accept new contract will I be downgraded from 40/10 to 40/2 ?

garyw335
Hooked

If I accept new contract will I be downgraded from 40/10 to 40/2 ?

My Plusnet contract is coming up for renewal. My current line profile is 40/10 according to BT Wholesale Performance Test and the speed I actually get is 36/7. If I choose to renew will I be downgraded to 40/2? The contract renewal team were unable to give me a definitive answer and they referred my to tech support. The tech support team have assured me that my line profile will remain unchanged and referred me back to the contract renewal team. When I asked the contract renewal team said they don't know anything about upload speed but everything *should* remain the same which doesn't fill me with confidence. Can anyone comment on this or better still can someone from Plusnet confirm in writing that 40/10 customers retain their line profile when choosing to accept a new contract?

The reason I'm being ultra cautious here is that up until my current contract I was on 80/20. When I renewed I was told that - because my download speed is only 36MB - I could get a better deal by choosing Fibre Unlimited instead of Fibre Unlimited Extra. I was assured that my service (in terms of broadband speed) would remain unchanged. What I wasn't told was that my upload speed would be capped at 2MB. This was a major problem for me as I rely on upstream bandwidth for home working. I then went through three weeks of untold hassle with customer services and tech support before my upload speed was restored to its previous 7MB. Since Plusnet no longer sell 40/20 or 40/10 and don't offer an equivalent for BT's 55/10 product I'm not exactly sure which product I am currently provisioned on (BT Wholesale says 40/10) and I'm even less sure what product I will be provisioned on should I choose to re-contract. Until I can get a definitive answer in writing I'm not going re-contract for fear that my line profile will be automatically dropped down to 40/2 again. At the moment - and given all the hassle I had last time - I have to say I'm inclined to ditch Plusnet and move to BT's 55/10 product simply because I'd rather pay a couple of quid more every month than have to worry about whether my line profile is going to be borked every time I re-contract.

30 REPLIES 30
Terminator
Hooked

Re: If I accept new contract will I be downgraded from 40/10 to 40/2 ?

Once the initial period of a contract is up you can just go along from month to month the only thing I might do is renew my subscription to the line rental in August which even I don't mind jumping ship with 1 month left to run as that works out as about the same as if I had paid the full amount every month. That is unless you can get a very good deal for renewing

garyw335
Hooked

Yes that's my plan for the time being, just stay as is on a month-to-month basis. The deal for renewing isn't anything to write home about, much the same as my current deal, although I am getting £5/month discount which I suspect will end when the contract ends. There isn't any spare capacity at my local street cabinet so I'm unable at present to switch to BT 55/10 even if I wanted to but Openreach have just installed an additional cabinet so hopefully it won't be too long before more FTTC capacity becomes available. Until then I'll just stay on a month-to-month deal with Plusnet.

I just wish Plusnet would sell 40/10 or 55/10 instead of or in addition to 40/2, the wholesale price diffence is minimal (£1/£2 a month), and it would make things a whole lot simpler for those of us who value our upload speeds. It wouldn't be so bad if I could switch back to 80/20 but they won't let me, if your line speed is less than 40MB, computer says no.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @garyw335

I've tested your broadband, and I can see that you're provisioned on 40/10.

If you recontract your service on the Unlimited Fibre package I wouldn't be able to guarantee that your service won't automatically downgrade to 40/2 because a 40/10 package is something we no longer offer.

Looking at your estimates, these are between 38 Mbps and 52 Mbps, so you would be able to upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra (80/20) if you would like assurance that your upstream won't change

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gregg
Grafter

Sounds like they have wasted your time OP. Maybe in attempt to save you a bit of money...

In reality if you are getting 40/7 on a 80/20 service, if you downgrade to a lower service, you will most definitely get a lower sync speed. Even if they say that you won't, they probably don't know what they are talking about.

If you only get 40/7 on a 80/20 you probably get like 32/1 (if you lucky) on a 40/2 service.

I had a similar thought. I was getting less than 40mbit syncs and paying for a 80/20, so i thought might as well pay for the lower service if that is the case. But if i did, i just know that the sync would go even lower.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There are going to be a lot of very disappointed customers who were on the 40/20 product when it comes up to renewal!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I believe those customers would had been moved over to 55/10.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Thanks @Anoush Many have, not all, but the implication in your first post leads me to believe if they re-contract they will be downgraded to 40/2.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I don't believe recontracting will affect the provisioned product in this instance.

There was a problem where this wasn't the case but I think it got fixed in a recent software release.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I think it depends on how the recontracting goes through using our systems.

If a customer is on 55/10 and a re contract regrades the service to 40/2 without them being advised and we're made aware of this we'll be happy to move it back to 55/10.

-Edit-
I posted this just as Bob did. If it's been fixed, then a recontracting shouldn't affect the provisioned product.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I was kind of hoping that 55/10 was a bartering option for retention! (BT did)

Mustrum
Community Veteran

And there lies the rub, it would seem the advisers run through a scrip when they try and sign you us, which includes the 2Mbps upload limit. The two I spoke with, and one even checked with their manager claimed never to offer 40/20.

garyw335
Hooked

Thanks Anoush but having looked at the figures it would be more expensive for me to upgrade to 80/20 and - since my maximum line speed is 36/7 - there would be no benefit and I'd be tied to an 18 month contract. As such I get a better deal by staying on 40/10 uncontracted on an ongoing month to month basis - even without the £5/month discount that I currently receive for being contracted it still works out cheaper than upgrading to 80/20.

I'm now very tempted to switch to BT's unlimited 55/10 product as I would get a superior wifi router, a 4K 1TB YouView box and the AMC channel on a 12 month contract for much the same price as Plusnet's 40/2 offering + 500 GB YouView box on an 18 month contract.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

I was on 55/10 and the discount was due to run out at the end of my contract. I was expecting to either pay £5 more per month to stay on 55/10, or have to re-contract on 40/2 or 80/20. When I rang COT to discuss my options I was surprised to be offered an 18 month contract to stay on 55/10 and pay only £1 more than I had been paying. 

My other car isn't a Ferrari
garyw335
Hooked

The problem with that route is that I'm not on 55/10 so it's not an option. I'm on 40/10 and since Plusnet don't offer 55/10 or 40/10 (or if they do the process for staying on or switching to those products is shrouded in mystery) my options for re-contracting are 80/20 or 40/2. The 40/2 product doesn't give me the upload speed that I need and 80/20 on an 18 month contract is more expensive than BT's 55/10 product which is only a 12 month contract and offers a superior YouView box + AMC channel and a supperior Wi-Fi router.

I'll be sad to leave Plusnet as I'm a long standing customer and I'm generally satisfied with their service. But their decision to downgrade their 40/10 product to 40/2 was a bad one and as such they will likely loose my business to BT. Plusnet really need to offer something comparable to BT's 55/10 product else I suspect other people in my situation will also choose to leave.